more newbie-type breeding questions

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by beefy, Aug 26, 2009.

1. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    so my girls are getting fat and i'm going to be getting them a boyfriend in the near future. planning on going with a boer. the ladies are boer or boer mix (i think one has some nubian in her).
    Moose has a dark brown head and Peaches has a blonde head. I'm wondering--if i were to get a solid red boer billy-- what the offspring would look like? do solid reds tend to throw more solid reds or is the white body pretty dominant coloring? also, i find that i tend to liek the black headed boers. i'm guessing that black headed is not a very dominant coloration since i dont see that many of them. if i got a black headed doe and a red billy what would i expect their offspring to look like? how about a black headed billy crossed with your normal redhead?

and while i'm at it--
    are there any goat breeding no-nos i should know about? i would guess that it would be a bad idea to breed say a pygmy or nigerian dwarf with a boer billy

2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I have seen some of the Black headed ones give traditional colored babies... and some throw black headed babies as well. As far as the babies off of a black headed and a red Boer... I honestly have no clue :shrug: I will say though, that everytime you think you know what they will give you... you will be SURPRISED lol! Goodluck with whatever you get! I am sure there are others on here who can help more! Oh, and we will need pics when you get your Buck :wink:

And yes.. you are right. I wouldn't breed a Pygmy or Nigerian Doe to a Boer buck. If your Buck and Doe are different breeds... then a general rule of thumb is to always make sure the Doe is the taller/larger of the two... like for MiniNubians you would start by breeding a Nigerian Buck to a Nubian Doe. :thumbup: So yes, you are right on that one. As far as other "do's and don't's".... Bucks CAN breed through a fence.... not saying that they will, just saying that there is that possibility. If you are pasture breeding be sure to remove your Buck before the Does are due to kid... they sometimes try to breed the Does while they are in labor. One of my main things for breeding is keeping up with dates! I try to keep up with when I KNOW my girls are in heat and keep a record of it. This will also help you out greatly if you are pasture breeding :thumbup:

Well that is all I can think of right now... lol I am sure others will be able to add more :wink: Goodluck! :greengrin:

BTW, LOVE the avatar :hi5: :thumbup:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't know much about boer coloration and such, but may I suggest...you could go to some boer breeder's websites and see who was bred to who and what the outcome was reguarding colors and such. That may give you a better idea. But like Brandi said...you can never be totally sure what the outcome will be until it gets here! You could cross two black headed boers and come out with twin red headed boer kids. So you just can never be sure, though you would probably have a better chance of getting a red head with crossing to a red head, a black to a black, a solid to a solid, etc.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    There is no telling what color you will get. It is a total guessing game. All I can assure you is they will be CUTE :love:

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Beefy I hope you werent serious about the fat part...I have two extreme fatties out there who have never conceived. By fat I mean squishy tails & blubbery briskets that shake like jello when they waddle.
    And one of them is my 07 Gr CH! :tears: How she got so huge is a mystery, she never got fed any more than anyone else. And I dont grain my Boers unless they are growing or working (as in breeding & getting ready to kid etc)

6. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    they are fat as in fat and sassy and looking a lot better than they did when i got them. not like so morbidly obese that they cant breed fat. who knows, they could be bred for all i know :?

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Alright! Dats good!