more newbie ?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by tat2edlady, Jan 22, 2009.

1. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    ok going to list ?

1 what type of thermometer do i need to get (the old kind(glass) or a newer kind and where to get it at.

2 How do I test for cae, cl johnes and pasteurella pneunonia(just read stickie)

3 how/when should i check goats for worms.I look at eyes and not really pink nore is their gums and what is the best wormer for prego goats, only a couple day if that?

4 where to get loose mineral I do have a mineral block will that work (do it go bad and need to be replaced every year mine I have had for 1 year now

5 what Vacc. do I need to give goats and when and are they ok for prego goats (less than a month)

Ok will stop and wait for help sorry so long but been working on question for about 2 weeks and got almost a book full LOL

Mindy

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Okey - I will answer these to the best that I can!

1.) NO glass! Use a digital. You can get a normal digital one from the drug store for under $5.00

2.) CAE,CL,and...... I test through WADDL http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/ This and UC Davis are the ONLY labs that I trust!! You would need to draw 3cc's of blood on each animal for analysis. All the directions are on the site - but if you have questions, please ask - testing is a "thing" of mine - I am a little obsessed over it, in all honesty!

3.) the lab above also tests fecals. You can send one in with blood testing or some vets can do them - but make sure they are knowledgeable with goat zoonosis diseases! Pregnant goat wormer - Cydectin - 1cc per 50# one time, repeat in 10 days. or Ivomec same doseage as Cydectin. If they are pale - I would definately worm. But I would also have a fecal done to check for Cocci - which is a different med! (imho!)

4.) Loose minerals you should be able to get at a local feed store or they can order them in. I use Purina until the local lady has more made for our area. Blocks are great, but 99% of goats will not lick a block.

5.) Vaccines - fiascofarm.com has a great chart on when to give vaccines to a pregnant doe. I give the first CD&T at 6 weeks and then a booster in 3 weeks, then yearly after that. That is the only vaccine most give routinely. I do give a BoSe injection right before breeding, 50 days prior to kidding and 2 weeks before kidding - but we are severly Selenium deficient here. Bucks I give them a BoSe injection before and after Rutt.

3. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    I wonder if I could call you to ask you a few things I really can't type as fast as I think of things.

Mindy

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like digital thermometers -- and I like the ones that have quick read outs. Since you take it rectally and they dont like it the faster the better. i got mine at walmart. I try to keep two on hand just in case i misplace one or one decides to break.

testing -- I forget the name of the place, but someone else will remember.

If you pull down their lower lid and it is pale in color then they might be wormy -- best to get a fecal done to check for what kinds of worms you are dealing with. Any dog or cat vet can do this for you and then tell them you have the wormer at home.

I like Ivermectin (horse wormer or cattle injectable) and it is safe for pregnant goats. Depending on what kind you get there will be different dosages. so just let us know what you get and we can help you out.

I like loose minerals because it is more effective then licking a block, mine refuse to lick the block! Purina minerals, sweetlix meat maker, & southern states Top Choice I have all used. Favorit so far is Purina Minerals but I just started using Top Choice.

I vaccinate with CD/T and I try to have their booster 1 month before the does kid. This is a yearly shot. THis vaccinates them against most forms of enterotoxemia and tetanous.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Mindy,

You can definately call - I get off of work at 5 pst m-th and fridays at 2:30. Do you have yahoo messanger - that is a real time chat and is real easy to "talk" over and that way everything is written out for you to save into a word document. I am on messanger all day all the time - LOL!

6. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Ok, I'm by no means an expert, but I'll try to help out. Please everyone, add more!

1) I use a digital human thermometer. Of course, it's only used for the goats, lol. They have them at Wallyworld (walmart), or any drugstore.

2) Testing is done by pulling blood and sending it to a lab, like biotracking. If you have someone close to you that has experience with this, ask them to show you how. If the thought of sticking your goats with a needle gives you the weebie-jeebies, see if you can find a vet who will do it for you.

3) I try to check mine every week for worms looking at the eyelid and comparing it to the Famacha (sp?) chart . Some here do their own fecal sampling, some send their fecals to a vet. The fecal test is more accurate, but you can use a combination of the eye chart and having a vet do a fecal for you if you see a bad "reading" using the eye chart. As far as the wormers go, could you post where you are located (just the state?). Some wormers not longer work in some areas, so this will help everyone to steer you in the right direction.

4) For the loose minerals, it just depends on where you're located. The southern states have access to some pretty awesome minerals from what I hear. Also, it could depend on the type of goats that you have. Seems that some on here use mineral blocks, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was or what kind of goats they have.

7. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    no I do not have yahoo but would be willing to get if some one could tell me how to do it.

8. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
  9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very simple, go to http://www.yahoo.com and download the Yahoo messanger. (when it askes about the yahoo tool bar say no that thing can mess up your computer)

then you add people like myself
    daddycallsmeroo

:D

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am going to a meeting - but will be back at 10 am PST

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh I sent you a pm -- you now have enough posts to access that feature just in case you didnt know. :greengrin:

12. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    Stacy did not get massage it said not aloud? :help:

Me

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try again -- I changed your permissions after I sent the message