more questions!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Aug 31, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Sorry for all the questions......I'm just trying to absorb as much as I can about the goat world. Do most of you leave your goats out at night? I have just two pgymies and no big dogs. I have been locking them up at night....they are so little right now and we do have coyotes around from time to time.
    Second question.......can I leave them outside during the day in the winter with access to their shelter....and when is too cold, too cold? We can get quite a bit of snow....will they go out in snow?
    Third question........should I have a heater or heat lamp in their barn?
    Thanks for you advice!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first dont worry about the questions

As to keeping them out at night, I do but i dont have preditor problems.

In the winter do give them the choice to go out. Summer is harder on them then winter is. They may not like the snow or they may love it. If they wont go out in it dig out some "pathes" so they can get exersize by walking around. They will then get use to the snow and venture out into it.

No there is not need for heat lamps for them. They will grow a thick winter coat as the days start getting cooler at night.

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have my goats out most of the time. Exception would be at kidding time, of course. They have adequate shelter. We don't have too many preditors (stupid fox still out there). But, I do have the mini horses and larger goats toward the back and the Nigerians are up front closer to the house.

My goats will not step foot on snow! They stand in the shelter and complain. So far we haven't had alot of snow since we got the goats (but it's Pennsylvania, we'll have "a big one" at some point), I laughed the first time I saw Hubby shoveling snow so the goats could have a path, but it helps me when I want to go out to feed and visit, and the goaties appreciate it so :love:

I only provided supplimental heat when we started kidding in early March. I don't think yours will need it, and they really like the cooler weather, anyway. I hear the farmers almanac is calling for a "REALLY" cold winter. So make sure the shelters are draft free.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Well, I already have to make paths for my to muchkin pups.....I have a Westie and a Carin Terrier and they are such shorties....it doesn't take much snow for them to need paths.......so I'll just continue out to the barnyard!!!! We have lived here 5yrs. and it seems that we have had several inches since moving here.....I'm ready for a not so snowy winter.....we get 4ft drifts bad.....we live 1/4 mile off the main road and on top a hill.....so it drifts bad!
    thanks for the info! So glad I found this site :leap: !!!!

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    My girls love the snow although they hate rain. One of them will just fold her front legs all the way underneath her body and push herself down hill like a snow pllow. I have tried to get pictures of it but, being a traditional Boer color, they all come out like a brown head floating on the snow.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    No worries on the questions! Everyone is here to help and they are very good at it! :)

We don't get much snow if any, so I can't be of much help in that area. We do leave our goats the option to go outside in the winter, they usually do not too often unless it's not raining. They hate the rain and detest the litte snow we do get!

We only use heat lamps for small babies and does due to kid when it's colder out. We secure them very well so that no accidents happen. It's good if there is no heater, then the goats will shed their coat more and be really cold if they go outside.

We leave our goats out now but no predator problems. We may get a LGD soon though, just in case.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ask all the questions you want to!! Health and happiness is any "goat nuts" goal for their kids....at least I think of myself as a goat nut!

Wintertime is really the only time I lock mine up in the barn.....they do have access to their yard in the winter and I have never had any type of heat for them, cold weather kiddings have been fine as I am always available to dry kids and put sweaters on them as needed. I lock them at night so they have a draft free area to sleep, the door is shrunk down to goat size in winter.

BTW....You are in for a good laugh once your babies see snow for the first time....my little nigi buck absolutely refused to touch it, he screamed and screamed until I carried him to a "bare" spot! :slapfloor:

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I've only had my ND's for a few months but they were so little when I brought them home (8 weeks old) that I put them in with my chickens. They have a 6 foot tall fence that's built like fort knox for the chickens. I gave them two igloo dog houses to use to get out of the weather for now. We have coyotes, fox and the very rare cougar here. I didn't want to lose my babies to a coyote so I just felt better knowing they were inside the more secure fenced area.

I also have a fantastic shepherd mix who is a great watchdog and doesn't let anything come around.

We are building a much larger fenced area (with only a 4 foot high fence) and a large shed for my goats. I think I'll be Ok letting my little girls (ND's) into that area once it's finished as they are older now. Although they certainly aren't much bigger. They will be with my two new Alpines (I'm hoping that will go well and they can live together) which I think will also help deter potential predators.

Haven't been through a winter yet but mine do not like the rain, which I've heard is normal.

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK Cinder, somehow I missed the memo were you got two Alpine goats. HA! She's definately got IT! Did we get pics?

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup she already posted pictures :wink:

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    LOL, ok, I remember now. Old timers disease, I guess.

12. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    We put our 4 goats in at night because we have coyotes around. In the winter I open the bottom door on the barn and they can go out if they want. Ours do not like it when it is snowing and my daughters shovel several paths around the farmyard for them if the snow gets to deep. I don't use a heat lamp because they get a thicker coat of fur in the winter and they tend to all lay together at night for extra heat. Keep asking questions its a great way to learn what other goat owners are doing!

13. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good word about drafts Di!! Really goats can handle cold alot better than we think so long as their shelter is dry & draft free.
    I dont use heat lamps dont trust them. If its real cold I help dry off the newborns with warm towels.
    Mine will venture out in the snow, they are Boers. Its the rain that turns them into big sissies!!
    All last yr they spent nights under a car canopy which housed the hay rack even when it was snowing. Had access to nice bldg but wouldnt go in unless the wind was blowing hard.