More questons ????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kathyg, Aug 4, 2009.

1. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    :thumb: it's me again.

I am getting 2 female pygmies (as mentioned before :greengrin: ).
    One is 3 years old, de-horne and the other will be 16 weeks when I get her but she has her horns.

Firstly, I really would like the babies horns removing. The vet said he could do this. Is this a big operation for the baby ? Do people who buy horned goats ever have them removed later ?

Secondly, can I feed the baby the goat mix I will be feeding the adult on, or will it need special baby goat food ?

I realise for a short while I will have to keep them on the same food they had previously.

Thirdly, will they get on ?

2. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Hi There... how exciting to be getting your new goats!!! As for the horns.. at 4 mos old you should be able to band them. I have not done this so I am no expert but I have heard from multiple people that it is a safe and effective means of horn removal (I am sure everyone will have varying opinions on this) It (for obvious reasons) can be "uncomfortable" at first but I hear after a bit the goats adjust and get on with their day.. if you do a search for banding horns you will find more info on it!
    As for feeding.. you can feed them both the same food. Our babies are raised on what their moms (the milkers) eat. And they are growing beautifully. Just take your breeders recommendations and switch the feed over gradually!

As for whether or not they are going to be BFF"s... Probably if they are the only 2. One being a youngster is helpful in the fact that they adapt pretty quickly to change. But goats are goats so you can never tell.. I have 2 does that did not get along until they both kidded now they are buddies.. maybe they are commiserating over nursing and diaper bags.. who knows? Goats are funny creatures.. That's why I :love: them!

Jennah
    Good Luck!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes the horn removal is painful -- but depending on the vet it can be a horrible experience or not.

as to the goats - they should get along fine since they are the only two

4. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Thankyou.

Do most people give them a mineral lick or put minerals in their water, or don't bother with anything ?

Is it easy to teach them to carry things ~ like their own hay stuff when I take them down the local lanes to cut the vegetation for them ? What sort of carry pack is recommended ? Does anyone have any pictures of the ones they use ? The lanes are narrow so to teach the baby to pull a cart would not be viable to use.

The place where I am getting the baby told me that females can eat turnips but turnips are poisonous to males ~ is this true ?

Do they manage okay in cold conditions i.e. minus 9 or 10 ?

Do they get stoppy when in season ? Do they bleed when in season (like dogs) ?

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most will use a loose goat specific mineral left in dishes so they have free choice of them....blocks are better than nothing at all but most goats can't get what they need from them.

They can be trained to carry packs...theres a topic on pack goats here in the forum.
    Does will have a light discharge to none at all and it only lasts about 2 days every 18-23 days.
    Never heard that about turnips...the only thing cautioned against is feeding bucks/wethers foods too rich in calcium.

As long as they have a warm draft free shelter, goats are very hardy, they can withstand the cold but don't fare too well if they get wet and cold.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ive never heard that turnips can be poisonous to either sex...wierd.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Do most people give them a mineral lick or put minerals in their water, or don't bother with anything ?
    Yes, We give ours a goat minerial block (I think SweetLix) and also loose goat minerals (Purina) mixed with some baking soda. But there are several good brands of goat minerals available

Is it easy to teach them to carry things ~ like their own hay stuff when I take them down the local lanes to cut the vegetation for them ? What sort of carry pack is recommended ? Does anyone have any pictures of the ones they use ? The lanes are narrow so to teach the baby to pull a cart would not be viable to use.
    I am not experienced with using them for packing, but i'm sure you could find a goat pack on maybe jefferslivestock.com ? or you could just try googling it.

The place where I am getting the baby told me that females can eat turnips but turnips are poisonous to males ~ is this true ?
    I don't think so...never heard of that, and there would be no reason that females are ok to eat it, but not males. Maybe google it.

Do they manage okay in cold conditions i.e. minus 9 or 10 ?
    Yes, they do fine in cold weather although you will need a warm shelter to escape the cold and draft. If you can get lots of straw bedding for them and a heatlamp in their shelter that would be great or if you have a small barn or something.

Do they get stoppy when in season ? Do they bleed when in season (like dogs) ?
    No, they don't bleed, they(meaning most, but not all) tend to get a little puffy back there, sometimes they have a little bit of clearish, milky goo back there. When does are in season, most of them, will wag their tail a lot, be vocal, rub on bucks, stand next to the buck's pen, etc.