More soap help

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Thanatos, May 27, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok I cant figure it out. It seems that every other batch of soap I make wont harden up :angry:
    I am using a great soap calculator( http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/soapcalculator.htm ) but still it wont harden.

Is the room temp where it sets important, would a room at around 85 or so cause this?

Does more or less lye make a harder bar? I use a good scale and do the ingrediants by weight. If anything I use less oil than the recipie. Please help me I want this to be a buisness and if I cant get it right consistantly then it wont fly.

And as clarification the soap partially hardens, but its not hard enough to pull out of a mold, think sticky play-dough. :GAAH:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    IDK Jason....the recipe I use has never given me an issue....try leaving it covered and undisturbed longer than 24 hours...if it still hasn't set enough then leave it uncovered but still in the molds. I do think that humidity will play a role in wether or not it sets well as does the type of fats used. Worse comes to worse you can throw it in a blender with a bit of water and make liquid soap. Of course after it cures for a few weeks.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    What kind of oils are you using?

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Canola and olive oil. The olive is just olive not evoo. I use a 75/25 mix canola to olive. and as I am in Az my humidity is like 0%(ok ok its 10% :greengrin: ) we cover the soap for the first day or 2 then uncover.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry I can't be of help there Jason :hug: I use Lard and a teeny bit of Coconut oil. Or I'll use a veggie/meat fat shortening.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    From what I've read on soap making, you are using two oils that do not solidify properly, so I would add coconut oil to the mix and that should help :)

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ah I see. thx we will give it a try.

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    What about usin crisco instead of coconut oil?

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use the Walmart brand of shortening....it is a meat AND vegetable fat.....Crisco is expensive to use for soap IMO...Thats why I get the store brand. And adding coconut oil to the batch will not only make a firmer soap, but it makes awesome lather as well. Any meat fat will also make a firmer soap...beef being the hardest, pork being a bit softer.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The only thing about using animal fats is that they tend to clog pores and leave residue on the skin, coconut is extremely good for skin, even though it can be a bit pricey.

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    how much coconut oil? percentage wise. If I was doing a 75/25 canola/olive mix before should I do a 65/25/10 canola/olive/coconut? or 60/25/15?

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can get the coconut oil from Walmart...Louann brand, it is fairly cheap there @ $5 for the jar.

I would go with the 65/25/10, it should give you just enough to harden your bars.

13. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    cool thx lots :thumb:

14. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I typically keep the olive oil in a lower percentage, as it does tend to make a softer bar. I do up to 25% coconut oil, and I also use alot of palm oil, it makes a nice hard bar.

15. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have used only olive oil in soap before and it hardened fine...it just takes longer and you have to keep stiring back in the oil that gathers on the top...but after about 3-4 days you don't have to stir it anymore and after about a week or so it can be removed from the mold. I think it's one of the trickier soaps to make but it is absolutely possible to get good results.

Olive oil makes wonderfully lathering, long lasting, and mild soap. I have extremely sensitive skin and this is, by far, my favorite soap.

If you want more info or instructions on the recipe I used, just pm me.