more teaching please

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I was looking at a web site that said not to feed sweet feed to bucks cause it causes U.C. What is U.C. and what if they ate the sweet feed?

2. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    Uc is a infection in the bladder of a stud/weather goat and can kill them but wait for someone that has better info. I just read about it

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    UC is urinary calculi.....other words, kidney stones that form when the "balance" of calcium/phosphorus is "off", causing the stones to form and block the urethra...which in bucks is a lot longer than in a doe with more rooks and bends to have more chance of a blockage to occur.

In my experience, I have always fed my bucks the same feed as my does and have never had an issue, 2 years ago I started adding ammonium chloride to the boys loose minerals as a preventative to help acidify their urine.

This also increases their thirst therefore making them take in more water to help dilute the urine.

4. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    good to know. :thumbup: . thanks liz.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as long as the feed has a balance of a 2-1 of calcium to phospherous ratio than I wouldnt worry about getting them any special feed other then what you are feeding.

Most feeds are correct in that ratio - check the tag of the bag to be sure.

I also just got a 50lb bag of Southern States Top Choice goat mineral. It has added amonium cloride. Now I don't have any bucks or wethers but if I ever do I know I will always get this mineral because it isnt an added expense since I have ot give them minerals anyway.

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    We used to feed a sweet grain called 'All stock' feed, Nutrena brand, and our wether got UC, we switched to an actually feed for goats that has ammonium chloride, and other minerals already added to it to prevent UC.

This is a pretty informative site on the subject:
    http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,13.0.html