Mortons ioFixt T-M Trace Mineralized Salt

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MellonFriend, Jun 25, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

At my local feed store they sell a trace mineral salt by Mortons. I have been looking for a cheaper salt that I can give to my bucks. I will be offering this in addition to a loose mineral mix so don't worry about that. It is also a loose salt, not a block. I don't like that there is no selenium in it, and I wish there was more iodine, but I bought a bag of it anyway to see how they do with it. What do you guys think? IMG_5949.JPG IMG_5950.JPG IMG_5951.JPG

2. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    Curious why you would wish to add a salt supplement.
    What is their loose mineral?
    Nearly every loose mineral contains salt in order to entice consumption of the mineral.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    A lot of us recommend extra salt for a few reasons. Sometimes because it encourages male goats to drink more to prevent urinary issues, sometimes because it can pick up what our minerals are lacking (if low in selenium, cobalt, iodine, etc. a salt lick with this added will pick up the slack!)

Salt effects the consumption of minerals. Salt is added to minerals to make it palatable. However, if a goat is starved on salt, they will lick the minerals until they have consumed the salt they want - and as for the minerals, they may have consumed too much, leading to overdose - or not enough, leading to deficiencies.

Ideally you want a mineral with enough salt to make it palatable, but a separate salt source to keep consumption regulated.

That being said, if a mineral has a nice balanced salt level, no, an extra loose salt is not necessary but nor is it frowned upon.

MellonFriend, what deficiencies do you struggle with?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. MellonFriend

Copper, zinc and selenium.

5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I give mine copper boluses , 1 zinc tablet human kind 50 mg. All rolled inside a cookie every 3 months. All get selenium gel 1st of every month. And I have loose minerals at all times.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Usually they do not need the extra salt.
    Most loose minerals have a lot of salt in them already.

Read the label and find out which will suit your needs for your goat.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would probably choose redmond goat mineral salt over this one, then.

8. MellonFriend

The trouble is I can only get a five pound bag of that from amazon for $15. That is just not economical for me. This was $13 for 50lbs. so that's doable for me. I'm going to use it since I have it and see how it goes. I already have been giving sel gel to them monthly so I will continue to do that. What do you think of the zinc content in this?

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I think that your zinc content is going to override the copper content being that the ratio is over 7:1 when it should be 3:1.

But if you’re got zinc issues, sure it might help... but it could make your copper issues worse.

10. MellonFriend

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about zinc-copper interaction. Ugh! Why does it all have to be so complicated?

I guess I am still going to try using it and see what happens since I have it. If it really causes problems I will stop using it.