The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
noob
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boy's pen is literally swarming with mosquitos! Yuck! There is no standing water on our property that I can find, but it's still fairly covered with brush. Any suggestions? I've seen various mosquito traps, but I'm not sure how effective any of them are.

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
Swallows...build those high on a pole bird houses to invite them to live there or bat houses lol.not sure what lives in you neck of the woods...we are building the swallow bird houses..much rather them then bats lol

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I know basil keep the Mosquitos off of people (rub it on your arms and face and they're gone) but I don't know if it would be effective on goats. Maybe you could plant some basil in pots and put them near your pen?

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
Good to know NDLover...I happen to be growing some basil : )

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Yes, it's great when you have to be outside for some reason, and the bugs just won't quit. :GAAH:Its gnat season here right now. I

was amazed at how well it worked when we first tried it.

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
yes..I was trying to enjoy being out tonight but the knats were horrid...I might rub my dogs down with some lol

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
ooh I wonder if I steeped basil for a spritz :D

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
My sister made something like that with essential oils, since we didn't have basil oil, she used lavender, mint, calendula oil and witch hazel. (In a water base, i think) Doesn't work as well as straight basil, but I think it helps to discourage the bugs.

·
noob
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basil! I wouldn't have thought of that. Their shed has a living roof so I could plant a little mosquito repellent garden up there :D Though I'd originally intended for them to be able to climb up there...maybe I just won't invite them up until after growing season ;)

I'll definitely have to look into bat/swallow houses too. We do get barn swallows, though since we're kind of in the woods I think bats would be more likely to show up

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
doing it all will cover your bases : )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts