Moswen and the Cart (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by FourSnyders, May 10, 2009.

1. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Well, yesterday I finally got Moswen hooked up to her cart. Hope you enjoy all of the pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    really nice goat.. :love: ...that looks so neat.... with the cart..... :greengrin:

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    good job on the jinker :thumb:

just a pointer though, your shafts are too low and so is the breastplate, they need to be brought up a bit, for the comfort of the goat

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Now that keren... brought it up .....I can see ....how that can be uncomfortable..... :wink:

5. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    We had noticed that the breastcollar was too low. Any ideas how we can fix that and make the shafts go up higher?

Thanks,

The Snyders

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yep, the breastplate is where she puts all her weight to pull the cart, so that needs to be up higher for her to really lean her weight into it and pull hard; though not too high that it affects her breathing. there should be a strap that goes from the breastplate over the shoulders/neck of the goat - you should be able to tighten that to bring the breastplate up higher. you might have to put some extra holes in it.

the shafts as they are at the moment place a LOT of weight on her back by pulling the saddle down, if they are up higher they wont pull so much on the saddle. you can raise the shafts by bringing the tug loops up higher - again, you may have to add more holes. Also, you may have to consider the balance of your cart.

Here is an interesting bit of information about the balance of a cart and the position of shafts in the tugs:

Source: http://equine.uber.matchbin.com/pages/f ... eft&open=&

7. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks for the reply keren. I believe we have it all fixed now. I adjusted the shaft loops and the breastcollar just as you said, so hopefully it will fit right. I will try it out tomorrow evening as it was getting late tonight.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nice pictures :) looking good.

9. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Wow...it looks like she taking to her training really well! :thumbup:

10. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    She is. The first time we hooked her up, Sunday, she did not even try to bolt or jump. Right now though I am just walking in front of her while she gets used to the cart, but later this week I will probably try to walk behind her while she pulls the cart.

11. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I love looking at pictures of cart goats and knowing that other people actually are training and using them for that. I want to train a cart goat in the future but that could be years and years away ... if ever. So, I like to live vicariously through others. :)

12. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    I do that with your guys' dairy goats. We don't have enough room for a whole herd of goats, just four at most. I do still enjoy having them though and training them to be cart goats. Oh, and maybe someday I will move to a larger place and get some dairy goats of my own.

13. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    That is really great. It would be so cool to ride in a goat cart.

14. That is so neat! I have always wondered and wanted to do something like this. Maybe one day?