The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night around 10:30 pm we did a barn check b/c we have 2 does ready to kid. We found 2 just newborn kids lying in the bedding hay, uncleaned & mama was hiding in the corner pretending like these kids born were not hers. She has completely rejected them. Would not let them nurse, kept kicking them, head butting them, wants nothing to do with them. We held her to allow the kids to nurse with much resistance from her. She won't "talk" to them, smell them, nothing. This is an 8 yo doe that has been a good mother on previous births up until this one. We attempted to milk her, the colostrum is so thick and sticky we can hardly get more than a couple of teaspoons out at each milking, and there hasn't been any "milk" with the colostrum yet, 12 hours after giving birth.

Last night after 2 hours of trying, we brought the kids in to make sure they kept warm, bottle fed them and then tried again this morning to get her to accept them. The kids are doing well so far today. Mama still acts like "Get these creatures away from me!". We're stumped
1. why would such an experienced mother be so different this time when the kids are healthy? does she know something's wrong with the milk and they can't nurse from her?
2. We've seen thick colostrum but never this thick. And don't they usually get a little milk going after a while? maybe we haven't milked her enough to get through the colostrum and to the milk? Her udder has dropped seems to have something in it, but we can get hardly anything out of it.

all you more experienced goat owners out there..any thoughts on this

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Did you happen to see her deliver the placenta?

It may have been a particularly painful birth causing her reaction but it's hard to guess. If the kids are willing, I'd still bring them out 3x a day and tie her up to nurse before offering them bottles.

Is her udder full & firm?
You might try very warm compresses (like washclothes in hot water) and massaging between trying to milk her.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the delay in answering, we had to get some sleep as we were up almost all night. Yes she delivered the placenta. Our first thought was that she was rejecting them because she wasn't done, but then after she delivered he placenta she still wanted nothing to do with them.

Thanks for the suggestions, will check mom over as suggested. This morning when we tried to get them together again the kids really didn't try much with her and she was definitely not wanting them, but we'll keep trying to get them to bond again.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
I'm thinking she's ill or in intense pain for some reason or other. An older doe like this should not have such thick colostrum. What has her temp been? I ask because a trend is even more informative than knowing what it currently is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking she's ill or in intense pain for some reason or other. An older doe like this should not have such thick colostrum. What has her temp been? I ask because a trend is even more informative than knowing what it currently is.
Unfortunately, I don't have historic temps on this doe. I have her because this bloodline of Spanish goats is extremely endangered. This is a doe belonged to a friend of mine from Ohio and she's sold and will be going to Oregon. When we picked up his herd they all had horrible hoof rot, and they were all left to run wild so they were very feral when we got them early Feb. They wouldn't even come into the barn because they associated the barn with horrible things happening to them, like shots and hoof trimmings. We've been working on building trust, This particular doe never even got grain prior to us getting them because she was so feral and was afraid to come close enough to get grain. she only last week finally started taking treats from us by hand feeding. It's been a challenge to even catch since we've had them let alone taking temps on them.

Her temp just now was 103.4, tried the Benamine. She was calmer when we put the kids in with her, but still no "talking" to them, no smelling, no acknowledgement that they are hers. Active avoidance. When trying to nurse she still kicked them away and at first chance left them and went to stand at the other side of the stall. We're going to keep trying, but honestly, I don't have much hope for this mother.

In the meantime since we're afraid mama will hurt them because she's been physically more violent to them, we've put them in with another doe who just kidded 2 days ago and lost one of her kids, and although she's not letting them nurse, she's not rejecting them and even cried and fussed some when we took them out to feed them at this last feeding.

Last bit of info, this last milking around 7pm the colostrum was more liquid and closer to normal. Still didn't get much about a generous tablespoon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if all the changes were just too much for her.
As I was writing about her that thought crossed my mind. She's been very high strung ever since we got her. We've been working hard at being calm and trying to get her to calm down, which has had some amount of success. But it's a lot of changes in the past 60 days and even humans might act out, so I can understand why she might be having issues that I don't understand that would cause this rejection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.