mountain lion attack

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sixshooterfarm, Aug 19, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so we beleive it was a mountain lion. Our fav girl, pecan hallow island daquiri got killed last night, actually early early morning by we think a mountain lion. I dident hear a think, which is the scary part. We have had dog attacks before and hear the goats scream and we can usually go out and save the goat and chase the dogs off. We found her this morning towards the very bottom of our property, extreamly bloated and her neck was all bloody. The neighbor came over saying that the dogs would not be quiet last night.....well all my dogs were in the house cause they wouldent shut up...... if I would have left the dogs out they would have been fine :cry: :cry: :cry: . We looked for tracks and found some big ol tracks on the outside of my fence, which looks like a smaller mountain lion and thats why it couldent drag the carcass off. any tips on what I should do

2. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Oh my gosh that's terrible! I don't really know what to suggest other than to keep the dogs with the goats if you can. I'm so sorry! :hug:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So sorry for your loss....I agree with Ashley, by keeping your dogs with or near the goats. :hug:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    :hug: Oh i'm so sorry, that's really scary! I'd keep the dogs out at night, maybe get a llama or donkey. I guess some donkeys kick and bite animals that get near the herd, llamas seem to work good too, but I still haven't found a good guard llama so :shrug: I don't know how well a llama would do with a mountain lion but ??? worth a shot I suppose. Maybe you could build a smaller shelter/barn/enclosed pen to put them in at night??? Good luck and hope you can figure something out! :hug:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH I am so sorry to hear that. How horrible. But I have to think, yes the dogs MIGHT of been able to scare the lion off BUT it just might of taken the goat and a dog or two. Could it of been a coyote at all? Either way it is horrible. I think the only thing that could really help in a situation like that is a Llama. :shrug: :hug: :hug:

6. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:

7. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I would suggest contacting your local (state agency) fish and game - they might be able to help you determine if you can eradicate the predator or even help set traps etc. Meanwhile - since it might return looking for another meal - could you bring you goats into the barn at night?

Sorry about your loss - my chickens were wiped out last year so I know what its like...

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry to hear that!! :hug:

Ditto what Arctic Goats said, get some kind of state authority on the issue if you can. Also, keep your goats locked in at night if possible. Maybe keeping the dogs out might help but that is your choice since you probably know your dogs better than I do. Llamas would more than likely not be a good choice as they tend to be a prey animal rather than defender, so if you could find a donkey that would probably be the best. Somewhere on my old computer I have pictures of a mule kicking and biting a mountain lion to death so I"m sure that its in a donkey's nature to defend what is theirs from predators.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    that's horrible. i had a mini panic attack when i saw the title and thought of sangria and fiona. still very sad. it could have been a bobcat. they get to about 50 lbs and the tracks would be about 3-4 inches across.

i don't think a llama would do well against a mountain lion because of their soft feet

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh how terrible! She was a beautiful girl! I'm soooo sorry for your loss! :hug:

I think a mountain lion attacked my horse many years ago...she survived, but had a very nasty leg injury. It was basically ripped to shreds. Took almost a year to get it healed up. That was a full grown Arab (1100lbs). I think a single llama would make a valiant effort to guard his flock, but, his job is really to sound an alarm and gather the flock, maybe herding them away from the danger while waiting for "reinforcements", from the dogs. While he can probably handle a coyote, a mountain lion or a pack of wolfs/dogs is more then he could handle. (BTW, I think in the video of the donkey with the lion, the lion was already dead). Unless the cat is really hungry and reckless, he won't venture near barking dogs. But, if the dogs are inside or contained by a fence or tether, they aren't much of a deterrent. I've read somewhere, that you need two LDG's if you have "high eschelon" preditors. So, in this case you'd need two Prys, or Maremma type dogs, full grown and experienced to discourage a mountain lion.

The best protection from this preditor...is...the number 1 preditor...a "ticked off" Hubby with a big gun! (Assuming the hubby HAS a big gun and knows how to use it). The more expensive route of course is TALL fences with electricity, top and bottom. I'm not even sure you could kill this cat...legally. Californians are funny about mountain lions, unless it kills some jogger, you probably won't get much attention because it was "just a goat". The real problem is, he'll probably be back, it was such an easy kill.

Good luck, :hug:

11. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  12. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Yes, Di is right - it is illegal to kill mtn lions in California. There is no hunting season but if you look at the CA fish and game website (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/lion) they have information about livestock depredation and it is possible to get a permit to kill one if you meet the permit criteria and if that is the route you want to go. It may take more than one instance to qualify - I didn't look see what the criteria would be. But, its probably a good idea to report the attack in case others in the area are also having a problem so fish and game and you can see the big picture and make an informed decision.

13. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    We have a panther/cougar whatever you want to call them that comes by on the ridge every year. It is illegal to shoot them but if he ever came close to our house he would be shot at.
    The people around here have a simple rule:
    keep quiet and dig deep!

14. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    i am sorry for your loss. so you have eltric fenses i would bose up the electicity if i were you and contact the fish and game like others have mentioned. i would also lock your animals up at night.

15. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    So sorry for the loss! Listen if it was a mt lion/cougar I hate to say this but it will be back...they have been known to kill for sport. Lock up your goaties at night.

16. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    The fish and game really want mountain loins attack report here in Kern county (hope it the same). They should try to catch it and help you get a permit. Unfortunately with all the fire this year I think we will keep having problems with mountain loins and bears. Shelly

17. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    Will you be able to lock them up to prevent another attack?
    Have you heard if anyone else has lost livestock?

I hope its a one time pass by thing and this cat isnt taken up residence in the area.

Thats really a shame. Sorry for your loss.

18. Poverty Bay

Poverty Bay New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    A year or two ago I read a post in some BB (I forget what one now) where they had a problem with mountain lions. She ended up playing LOUD recordings in the night of Cheetahs sounding off. She got the sound off a animal sound website and I kept the site 'cos I thought it was cool:

http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/ ... Cats.shtml

I think she used the Cheetah #5 sound and she quit having problems. She was having repeat problems at the time.

PB
    (No goats ~ YET!)

19. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh, oh, I think we have a newbie here. Hello Poverty Bay! If you go to the "Welcome" topic and introduce yourself, we can give you a proper welcome. :wave: