Mountain Lion Problem....

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Jan 2, 2011.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

My friend has been losing her chickens and ducks to this mountain lion, shes tried to shoot it but its too smart.

She has dogs, but somehow the lion gets past them. Shes worried because the lion may try to go after her goats next and she doesnt know what to do

Is there anything we can try to prevent the lion from getting through the fences?

2. you could....get a game cam and find out EXACTLY whats going on? Or do a stake out! Has she tried using a predator call? Call it in, and then SHOOT the SOB!

3. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Is her fencing hot electric? I really dont have anything to offer but in my experience a barrier fence is useless in this sort of situation. Especially now because it knows where the food is and how to get it reasonably easy. if she doesn't come up with something that works fairly quick then I highly recommend locking them up in a building, both the chicken/ducks and goats.

Also - Have her invite some hunting/game folks over for finger foods and snacks etc. and sit out waiting for it then have them all shoot at it. As mommaB said, use a call if she has to.

4. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    You may also want to have her contact the local fish and wildlife office and see if they would be willing/able to relocate the critter.

I have an issue with outright shooting a mountain lion, but I'm a softy :oops:

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Until the laws changed here in Oregon, we could call up the local tracer guy and he would come out with his dogs and take care of the beast.
    I too had a problem with just killing them, until we were out hunting and realized we are prey to them!! Our animals and little children are prey to them as well. It is terrible that we are living in their back and front yard but kill them when we see them.
    There are alot of Cougars out there lately, which means there are even more in the deep woods. The ones coming in to kill farm animals are generally young and looking for an easy meal. Your friend may do well to get the shot gun out side and fire a warning shot when she knows it's there, it may be enough to scare the beast off.
    Fish and Game will be able to tell her if there is a local trapper that can go get it for her...or the sheriff.
    Honest I think a good mean dog is in order for alot of us these days..

6. ANd even if Fish and game come out, and they do find it killing livestock, they will dispose of it anyway. Relocation doesn't always work. They have found that farms are easy prey and will return! And sometimes the ones that they find stalking farms are sick , and suffering anyhow.

7. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Its very true that they may come back if not transferred far enough. The mountain we live on had 6 trouble bears dropped off about 5 years ago and we have seen no sign of them, never heard them or anything to this day (knock on wood). The top of the mountain is the states property and it connects to ours. We need to be really careful when we put fencing along the 8 acres up there or we may find some bear caves.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    :ROFL: Great answer Tisie! That's what I would do! :wink:

You have a right to protect your livestock. If it keeps coming back then I would just wait it out and get rid of it for good. Otherwise it will just keep coming back for more. There is no need to spend money of fencing supplies and whatnot...it just won't work.

Your friend will just have to be patient and quiet to get it one night or have a professional come out and take care of it.

9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I love animals, but I say FIND IT and KILL IT. UNLESS you can find someone willing to trap it and move it away. If you don't it's going to keep coming back, and who knows who it might prey on, your friends critters, or even your friend? That's just way too scary for me, and not something I'd want coming back.

10. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I am in Oregon, had a predator come into my back yard (a large city lot back then), and it attacked my Rott - nearly took her out! I freaked out & called every government # I could find... sherriff, dog control, animal control, anyone...
    They all told me the same thing... they couldn't get out right away and if I hurt it, they would come after ME for harming it!!! They were VERY adament and rude about threatening ME if I tried to harm it or kill it - even on MY property, even if it was ATTACKING!! WHAT?!?!?! :angry:

It came after my dog again a 2nd time while I was outside in the backyard with my dog AND my 1 year old baby daughter... lets just say I didn't make any phone calls, and it's definitely not bothering me anymore!!!!!!!

Ever since I haven't/wouldn't trust the Oregon Animal Dept. to do much of anything, if I (or my property) were truly in harms way. Now, if I see coyotes at someone else's place or wandering in a nearby field, then yes I'd call the Animal Division... but once you cross my property line - you're ALL MINE SUCKER!! :devilish:

11. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I hear ya....Cougers are nothing to mess with...the best one I've seen was on my livingroom wall...haha. I am an animal lover but when it comes to protecting my family (thats all the critters too) they come first. It is sad that we have moved into their hunting territory..by the way could be anywheres up to 500 square mile but we got to protect our own..

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am the same way, if a predator came onto my property and tried to hurt my animals, my kids or myself....it'll find itself in a hole in the ground! Thankfully we've never had this issue where we live.
    Where my dad lives that area has problems with stray dogs that turn wild, and ferral cats. The cats got soooo bad he started shooting them or he'd trap them and shoot them. If you've never seen a ferral cat, your lucky! I think his last count on cats was 50! They will kill all the small animals off, they attack his cat who is getting up there in years, and they will get into his garage and ramsack the place. So he has no problem shooting them. Since he's been doing it they've had rabbits, squirrel and chipmunks returning to their property.

He used to own a farm about a mile from where he is now, it was 30 acres. We lost 24 of 36 chickens in one day because of wild dogs! They weren't hunting to eat they were hunting because they enjoyed it! The chickens weren't in a coop, they were loose in the big barn. I had a German Shepherd and she sniffed out a trail that the dogs were coming in on, once we found out where they were coming from...they never came back.
    And then a few years later, dogs broke into his chicken coop, and he had a big picture window that he opened just a little to let air inside during the summer. They wedged inside that window and it shut, trapping them inside. He came out to feed, and was going to call animal control to get the dogs, but they tried to attack him! He didn't hesitate shooting them either, and I would have done the same thing.

You gotta take care of your own.

13. salviadorii

salviadorii New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Hi
    I have been reading tons of post here and finally registered.
    I had a bear come and knock over and wreck one of my bee hives.I live in a desert valley at the base of the Sierra.Bear are not that common in the valley.I called Cal Fish and Game.Their response was that I had an "attractant" so I was responsible for the problem.They did tell me I could shoot it if it was on my property.They also told me they would only come if the bear was literally harming me.Like my leg was in its mouth.I moved the bees away across the valley where it is likely the bear would not travel.I asked another Fish and game person what they thought would be good fencing for my goat pen.They suggested 8' high chainlink with strands of barbed wire around the top.I have not done this an am taking my chances for now.I do have neighbors around that are pretty on it if a mtn lion comes to town.I hope your friend doesn't lose any more critters.