The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the fool's paradise we were living in is gone. We had been stacking feed bags in our feed room since we hadn't had trouble with mice before. Well it finally happened. A mouse (our rat) chewed into one of our half empty feed bags. It chew into it so that it was in line with the level of feed still in the bag and had clearly been chewing apart grains on top of the feed. I scoped out about six inches off the top, but my question is, is it safe to feed the rest of the bag to my goats?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I use galvanized trash cans to store feed but I've heard of folks using the heavy weight Tupperware totes that you can get at Home Depot too. I also know a gal who used an old fridge laid on its back and she claimed nothing's worked as well.
Just a bunch of ideas. I don't like using poisons/traps around curious animals like goats. They get into everything

·
8,071 Posts
They only touch a snap trap once! :D Bait stations, put where goats are not. I only use the bait stations (the are hard molded plastic with a lock on them.) in extreme situations. Store grain in containers that are goat resistant. Like goofy goat said, the fridges and old chest freezers work great, but, put a hasp and lock on them so curious human kids can't open them.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
two days ago i was working on the new milking stanchion and i couldn't help noticing the mice. so i set the traps. I caught 5 mice in 4 traps in two hours. i caught 10 total. I have not seen any mice all day today and no traps have been set off. My grain is in 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids. so there is no worries there and since we are not milking yet I have no worries.
I will be disinfecting after i am done with the stanchion.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well here's a new development.
IMG_5133.JPG

The little bugger chewed its way into the top of my sunflower seed container and got stuck in there. I really can't set traps or put out poison because my feed room is in my garage and my dogs go in there all the time, but I figure this is a safe mouse trap, so I'm just going to put a little seed in the bottom and see what else I catch!

I let it go on the far end of my property with the rest of the seed in the bucket. I know it would be better to kill it, but that's just not going to happen, and I will be getting metal cans to put my feed in so that this isn't a problem in the future.

·
8,071 Posts
I can't outright kill a mousy either. (How silly is that?!). I dont mind traps, they are quick. But to somehow kill a live mouse...... I'm an old wuss! I hate those glue traps. To me, they are terribly cruel.
But, glue traps are great in the house next to the air return vents on the floor. Boy do the catch big old spiders!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But, glue traps are great in the house next to the air return vents on the floor. Boy do the catch big old spiders!
I have something to confess.... I can't kill spider anymore either without feeling bad. (embarrassed)

I used to be afraid of spiders and pretty much all other bugs when I was little. But then my younger sister defied the odds and became the first girl in our house to actually like bugs. She totally changed my view, and now I feel bad even if I accidentally kill a spider. I swear since we stopped killing every spider we saw in our house we actually have less bugs over all. I am now even at the point where I could say I like spiders. Especially jumping spiders. I think they are cute. I mean come on. He's got a water droplet on his head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts