mouth injury

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Jun 28, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so I have a goat that some how cut the corner of her mouth, it was a small cut, nothing that needed stitches or anything. I cleaned out the wound and have been putting neospoin on it and such, then the next thing I know it got bigger and a lump showed up. Well the the lump was an abcess........ I let it do its thing, but now that the abcess is drained and is drying it is a HUGE dried scabby wound! the skin is pulled away from the face pretty much. Ok best way to explain it is fish hooking, put your finger in between your cheek and teeth, curl it and pull, imagin that ripping, ok thats how it looks, I will try to get pictures. I dont know what to do, I have been cleaning it out daily and am putting her on anitbiotics. I think this wound is just going to heal the way it heals, stiches wont work, its all scabbed..... any ideas people lol!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You sure do seem to have some bad luck here lately.

I hope that everything works out!

3. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    You can try a liquid bandage. The vet can sell you some. im not sure if you can use the one listed for people on the goats (id be afraid of the toxicity) but if you can find a nontoxic liquid bandage for people, you can try that. Basically, from what I am hearing, your biggest threat is going to be bugs and infection. The neosporin/liquid bandage will help with the bugs and the antibiotics you are putting her on will help with infection.........THats pretty much all I can think of for you to do.

4. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Bad luck is my middle name!!! Oh horrible, I am 5 seconds from quitting!! I love my goats but man, I am sick and tired of it and I keep thinking that maybe it is my fault, and thats why I am having so much bad luck. I mean some of my goats look REAL good, goats are beautiful, wonderful weight, and then there are some that are just.....crappy looking. So I have all the crappy ones seperated. I Think I am gonna grab all the crappy ones, quarentine them, worm them and pump them full of hay grain and vitimins. I have more babies on the way, I have some babies here with cocci, but I have that under control.... I need your guys support!! Why would some goats be wormy and skinney with a bad coat and some look like beautiful show goats?? I dont get it. Ok well thanks again

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am going through a slum right now too. With your does that look "crappy" I would give them a 5 day treatment of Safe Guard (or safe guard type) wormer, 15 CC's is what a longtime breeder recommends, so I would dose them for 5 days at 15 cc's a day. Some of them are just more suseptable to worms.

Chelsey

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Wow you poor thing. I say just let it heal. If it is in the corner of her mouth that is a really hard place to try to treat it. Do you know what the abscess was from? I would bet a splinter or a piece of hay. :grouphug: You sure need that hug

7. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    There are a lot of factor that go into any animals suseptibility to worms. For example, genetics, immunities from mom through colostrum, the kinds of worms/dewormer was used on mom. LOTS AND LOTS OF STUFF!

We all go through these little slumps...just keep on truckin! Itll get better! :hug:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am climbing out the other end of a bad slump..........I can understand. I to wonder why some goats get wormy and not others :shrug:

Right now I am trying to get a handle on a worm issue with my kids. After loosing one to coccidia or enterotoxemia it has been an uphill battle to just get everyone looking healthy with no scours for more then a day!

Get a fecal on one of the crappy does and see what you are dealing with and then treat all of them accordingly. Be agressive with your worming and be sure to follow up with a second round 7-10 days later to get the eggs that hatch. :hug:

9. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Thanks guys. Well the corner of the mouth started with a cut, like a paper cut, just a little deeper, and because goats are goats, even with me cleaning it it turned into and abcess. I went down to feed one day and saw the corner of her mouth bleeding a bit, I looked at it cleaned it up and a couple of days later it was abcessed. I have some GREAT weedy hay that are about 130 pounds and the goats are doing sooooo good on it, but it does have some like bird seed weeds in it, so I am sure something got in the cut. I will get everyone wormed and see what happens. the good thing tho is several months ago I copper bolused everyone, my black does are black lol. Sooo many of them have shed out their winter coats and they have amazing new dark coats coming in. I have a brown doe named goober an she has always been brown, well she is chocolate now. So maybe I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel I hope, I am crawling over this slump, slowly, but defiently crawling.

10. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have things scouring left and right. It is so annoying!! I clean the barn twice a day (I am not lying lol) keep food off of the floor, I feed FasTrack and all but I am still having all of these problems. GAHH!!!