The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope had no problems this year besides a eye or two colds everyone been great just open the woods to them

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm to a 100% that its not or is sore mouth but I would just keep it as clean as possible. Use LA200 topically and just make sure she doesn't get any kind of secondary infection.

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
looks painful poor baby...I agree..doesnt look too much like sore mouth., poke around gently to be sure no sticker is lodge in the mouth...inner and outer....keeping it clean and dry would be my suggestion..if it begins to look infected then Neospordin would be good to use on it..

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well been a couple weeks I'm pretty sure sore mouth it got bad a week ago lip was bleeding and all starting to heal up now.
Everything I have read on the net says that it takes 1-4 weeks and to let it work its course.
I put her by her self but looks like her sister I sold got it and my head site has it and one kid has it ..
So I guess we will see if the rest get it or not ...
I thought that the scabies shot took care of this.
See what happens when u go in the woods to eat for free ...

Eye Plant Dog breed Working animal Liver

Attachments

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have heard that its possible that deer carry it sometimes. The lady who does the disbuddign for me now, told me that one year it seemed like everyones herds were getting it, even isolated herds, and everyone decided that deer were spreading it. Luckily, all it means is that they will never get that strain again :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard that its possible that deer carry it sometimes. The lady who does the disbuddign for me now, told me that one year it seemed like everyones herds were getting it, even isolated herds, and everyone decided that deer were spreading it. Luckily, all it means is that they will never get that strain again :)
U know u might be right since the fence is up the deer are all around the fence line now

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
2nd pic Looks like scabby mouth myne have had it on the back of the mouth like that. I've gotten orf disease from it too, lol not fun, i can tell you all about it....Lol. Im probably wrong but make sure you don't have any open sores on your hands if you touch it just to be safe.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea there all good now it went around to all of them most healed in a week some were longer glad that's over

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Yeah that's sore mouth or orf as it is commonly called. Just watch for secondary infections in the skin and let it run it's course. If it gets to looking too bad then you can put campho phenique to help dry it out.

Careful not to touch it much and separate her if you don't want the rest ti get it.

I've dealt with it alot. Its not as terrible as everyone thinks.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Yea its not bad on goats just dont get it yourself lol. I got it from a little innocent kid who i didn't know had it. Lol. It went in threw an open cut on my pinkie and my body reacted to it with a rash, and it was bad. No sleep and unstoppable excessive itching.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
That looks painful! I wear gloves when my goats have it... I have had a couple this year with it. Its not bad unless a secondary infection sets in or you don't quarantine and everyone gets it. I will put orajel on it if they act like it hurts alot. It seems to help some

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Yea its not bad on goats just dont get it yourself lol. I got it from a little innocent kid who i didn't know had it. Lol. It went in threw an open cut on my pinkie and my body reacted to it with a rash, and it was bad. No sleep and unstoppable excessive itching.
i'm itchy from looking at that.....maybe even a sympathy hive popped up. *shudder*

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Yea i usually try to stay away from it when they have it lol but didn't notice anyone else having it and i didn't notice it on him. He just wanted to be held lol

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
I got it around April 1. Started out as a little sore on my pinkie, looked kinda like a blister. It just kept getting bigger and spreading to the top of my pinkie. Was like this for 10 days or so then decided to go to ER. After the er i started to break out on just my hands and around my legs and ankles. It was bad lol. I was like that for a week then still had it but not so bad for about another week. Still didnt know what it was... Went to er 3 times then the doctor then blood work then to the dermatologist lol he figured out it was orf disease which i was guessing cause i new my kid had it by then. He said the rash was just the 2nd stage of it all then its over. Still have a mark on my pinkie but he said it should go away with out any scars. If you get bored read up on orf disease lol. Just be careful when your goats get it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts