Mouth ulcer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, May 9, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thought you guys might be interested to see this. I noticed Fiona (saanen goatling) with a dirty mouth, on inspection she had a heap of awns from the wheat hay sticking into her gum under her upper lip.

[​IMG]

I removed them with a pair of surgical tweezers and flushed the wound with saline and gave an antibiotic injection. Where they were digging in is actually ulcerated and looks like a raised circle about the diameter of your finger and raised probably 1/4 inch from the gum.

[​IMG]

She's locked in a pen and she's off the wheat hay until the mouth heals. Unfortunately this is one of the things that can happen when you feed awned wheat hay - as opposed to 'grazing' wheat which is awnless.

Normally they heal up pretty quickly and have no recurring problems. Its interesting to note that goats that get this never go off their food or lose weight at all, and I've seen much much worse cases than this one - the worse I saw, 90% of the does mouth would have been ulcerated and full of awns.

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ouch, poor girl!

3. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    ouch :shocked: poor thing but thanks for sharing this is how I learn more about caring for my girls

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Ouch is right :(

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks for sharing - hope that she heals fast for you.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow.....that stuff sure hid an ouch spot......poor thing.....I know it will heal up.... but man that's gotta hurt.... :shocked: