Movin time

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Thanatos, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Hey all my move to Pa happens next friday :leap: . I just wanted to refresh my memory about moving the goats.... Basically all i need to do is provide them with water and food on the trip right? I am estimating about a 40hr drive as we are doing the marathon drive. All I have is Luna and Cleo now so the trailer space they have is pretty decent as far as standing, turning and laying go. Should I do a nutri drench before I hit the road? any sugestions are welcome.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    nutri drench cant hurt.

have a safe drive! :thumb:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would make sure that there is something absorbant under the hay or straw on the floor of the trailer as water pails will spill and the girls will be peeing,will be nice unloading them without having to stress them with a bath to get the ick off :greengrin:

I assume you'll be stopping on occassion for breaks yourselves, that would be the time to either refill water pails or offer water if the pails won't be available freechoice.....one way to keep them available without spilling would be to put 2 gallon buckets into those heavy plastic milk crates...less chance of them tipping over. I would give nutri drench and probiotics before the trip as well as after.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with... Liz and Katrina.....good advice... :wink: :greengrin:

5. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    yep, can't say anything else besides, Have a safe trip!!!!!

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I designed a gravity fed auto water for the trailer so I dont have to worry about their water :greengrin: It feeds from a 35 gal tank that sits in the hay loft of the trailer. and I was gonna use a rubber bottomed rug to go under the straw. It will absorb about a gallon of liquid per 2' squareish

7. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Sounds like you have all the bases covers - I like your idea of the rubber bottomed rug to go under - very good idea. I am always suprised at how much a goat can pee and always put down plenty of bedding.

Hope you have a safe and uneventful drive!

Deidre :horse:

8. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Have a safe and enjoyable trip! Don't forget the snacks for the goats also! Mine like animal crackers!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How fascinating.....you are very creative..... :thumbup: Have a fun and safe trip........ :hug:

10. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Honestly the waterer is easy.... I found a 5 gal fence mount horse waterer added a toilet float and plumbed the whole thing with pvc(not glued) to a ball valve on the tank. Even split it so the dogs have one on their side of the trailer.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would Nutra dernch them for three to four days before you leave and also have some probiotis on hand so when you stop you can give them a little. It is stressful no matter how hard we try to help them.

A friend of mine also uses a calf paste when she moves hers, It is like Be clam. It works great.

Have fun and a safe trip. Is there anyone on the way to your new place that you can stop at?

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    No we dont have anywhere we can stop to let them run around, but we will take them out at least one time for a few minutes.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    great job.....easy for you maybe....LOL. :D

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    that waterer sounds pretty neat..you should take a picture. :wink:

15. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok but you have to wait cause I think the camera is packed :oops:

16. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    :ROFL: Been there, done that! Now to find it when you go to unpack! I was going through some boxes I had not gotten around to unpacking yet (we have been here for 5 years and still have some boxes I need to unpack - but part of the boxes are from when my grandmother passed aways a couple years ago and I am doing them as my mom feels up to helping me go through them) - but back to what I was getting too - I found a boxes full of cups and glasses - we just bought a new set of glasses due to too many accident resulting in breakage (mostly cat related lols) - I said - wish I had open this box sooner - would have saved some money - but we do like our new set :) But have plenty of glasses now!

Deidre :horse: