The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m buying a Nigerian dwarf doe that is due in about 3 weeks. Is it going to be too stressful on her to move her in the back of my SUV? I have a Nissan Rogue and I’m concerned if it will be enough space and if it will be too stressful. I have an extra large dog crate that will probably fit in the back if that would be big enough for her and if it would make it less stressful? I’d like to hear your experiences transporting in SUV style cars and if you’ve moved pregnant does before. We will be traveling about an hour.

Thank you

·
8,171 Posts
Be sure and get some feed, hay and a jug of water from her original home, so the change doesn't stress her too much. Will she be an only goat?

You probably know all this, but get any registration papers and the service memo before you leave. Somehow, the "it's in the mail" doesn't always happen. Unless this is a friend etc. Check any tattoos. And the biggie, if things don't look right, i.e. Sick doe, fever or runs, etc. Check it out thoroughly. A sick goat does not get better by traveling!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be sure and get some feed, hay and a jug of water from her original home, so the change doesn't stress her too much. Will she be an only goat?

You probably know all this, but get any registration papers and the service memo before you leave. Somehow, the "it's in the mail" doesn't always happen. Unless this is a friend etc. Check any tattoos. And the biggie, if things don't look right, i.e. Sick doe, fever or runs, etc. Check it out thoroughly. A sick goat does not get better by traveling!
Thank you! I was able to take a look at the pedigrees online and she is going to provide papers at pick up. We're all prepared for the normal stuff for picking up.

I'm just concerned about lifting her, her jumping up. Should I bring some kind of ramp to lead her up? I've never had to lift or move a pregnant doe before.

·
8,171 Posts
Use a couple bales of hay or straw, she should be able to step up on that then into your vehicle. Lift the front end then someone lift the back if no bales available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts