Moving...CL positive animals on site?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Jul 15, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Moving to a new house and the owner has her two 14 yr old mixed breed goats there. A nigi and a obie, clearly. They are positive for CL with abscesses to boot. She has agreed to home them elsewhere during my lease. But my question is...how afraid of the property should I be? Is there potential for contact while rubbing on the fences, using the barn, grazing the land?

Pretty concerned here, thanks for any help!

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yikes. I think once it is on the property it's stuck. Two of our wethers just left the other day after staying an additional month since their owners had a CL positive goat on their property and didn't want to risk it passing, so we vaccinated them.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    NO WAY!!!!

If an abcess has ever broke on that property there is definately the potential of picking it up. The only thing you could do is tap the abcesses, send to waddl for an isolate, then have them send to hygia to have the vaccine for that strain made - but no way in HE-- would I put my stock there

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I absolutely agree, there is no way I'd risk my healthy herd becoming infected. With the age of these Cl positive goats, you can be sure that they've had abcesses burst and have contaminated the property.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with the others....there is no way.... I'd do it either.... :hug:

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'd find another place to lease :(

7. pennylullabelle

Thanks for the feed back everyone. After spending about 3 hours researching this morning and learning that not only could it not be removed that it could even - in very rare cases - been inhaled from the ground. So, yeah, we are back to house hunting. Not a chance in...well...you know!

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, very Bad!
    good choice, good luck finding a new home!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good luck in your search... :thumb: :hug:

10. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Just as a side note...I know of too many people who successfully control CL in their herds with a $6 vial of Case-Bac to believe it necessary to go to the trouble of having vaccines custom made. There's been a lot made of adverse reactions with Case-Bac, but the very ONE who made a lot of that ruckus now *uses* Case-Bac in her own herd...and advises others to do the same.

Jes sayin'. :)

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I know a breeder who knows people who have had CL, and they've done the injections into the abscesses and it's been successful of killing the bacteria - just shrivels up and falls off.

BUT, no way I'd willingly move onto property that I'd be leasing if it has CL infection... not something I'd want to deal with.

12. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    good for you on your choice to keep looking for a place.
    nasty thing to have around and you would forever be paranoid of it on your goaties.
    just my 2 cents.

renee

13. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    That was most likely formalin...formaldehyde. I've known people to do the same thing, with success, but it really doesn't do much for the actual infection. It will kill the bacteria out of the abscess, though, so if it ruptures on its own later, it might help with keeping down the spread of the disease through the herd.

Maybe.

The idea of injecting formalin into a goat gives me the heebs, though. :shocked:

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is very true - but the problem is is that case-bac is similar to the "flu" vaccine - it only covers certain strains. For ultimate protection you can do the vaccine made - and when I helped someone get it all said and done it was under 100 bucks for, I think it was 100 doses or something ... :shrug:

15. pennylullabelle

If I were to come into contact of CL on accident or find it in my herd I would be willing to spend the expense for a vaccine against that strain. But I prefer to find a new home then knowingly move somewhere with it. I've worked too hard and been to selective to keep a clean herd so far. Plus, I've had a bad experience with the owner thus far about researching into the disease in her goats. "they're 14, they were born here, clearly it isn't that bad" and "my neighbors both have meat goats and don't mind." Somehow if I abdicate against stupidity I'm the bad guy? So, we're hunting, but it SUCKS. San Fransisco is NOT a rural unless you want a 2 hour commute or you want to pay more then 4 grand for rent! Whew! Who can afford that? We sure can't, and my husband is a very talented software programmer working with some major companies out there! If I still worked for the community college we'd be screwed ;)

16. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    CL is also transmittable(?) to humans. Generally I find that most people do all they can to avoid CL. But once their herd is infected it is suddenly not so bad any more. Easy to deal with they say. Yea right. :roll:

17. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Is your DH going to be working in SF? You're right, property in the bay area is super hard to find.... how far is he willing to commute? I've lived in various places in the bay area for 8 years (yikes, has it really been that long) so I could put my ear to the ground and do some brainstorming on possible neighborhoods to check out...

18. pennylullabelle

He is going to be working in SF right off the bridge. We looked at a house today in Sebestopol owned by a Nigi breeder I REALLY admire. I *think* it went well and I am hopeful!

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good luck! Hope it turns in your favor :hug: