The Goat Spot Forum banner

Moving Cross Country with Farm

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am just reaching out because my husband and I are moving cross country with our small little farm. We have 5 miniature goats, 2 small pigs, 3 chickens, 2 ducks, and 4 rescue dogs.

We are planning on building cages in our Toy-Hauler RV to move everyone but would just like to know if anyone has experience or tips in this area.

Will the goats, pigs, and birds be ok to be in the trailer for 2-3 days without coming out? The trailer is nicely ventilated and we can have a/c running when it's parked if need be.

Also, we are moving from Nevada to Fort Worth, TX. Do I need health certificates for all our animals? I've heard both yes and no to that question and wondering if anyone has experience.

Another challenge is that we are moving at the end of May and still haven't found a place we can rent with all the animals when we get to Texas.
Does anyone know of places that allow small farms to move in??!

Thank you for ANY help you may be able to offer :hi5:

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on your move.
We moved our farm from Massachusetts to South Carolina last July.
3 horses, 11 goats, 4 chickens, 4 cats and 2 dogs
We packed the cats, dogs and chickens in the back of our truck in crates. We drove the 16 hours straight through (with 2 kids also 5&7) the horses we had shipped at a later date as my husband was back and forth until I could get the barn set up. He drove the goats down in the back of the truck and followed the lady that trailered the horses .
The goats all needed health certificates to cross state lines.

#3 ·
I would get health certificates for your animals. If you are stopped, your animals can be confiscated if you don't have them. While the likelihood of that happening is slim, it is still a possibility. This is a long enough trip that it isn't worth it to take a chance.

#4 ·
You will need health certificates. You can call the Forth worth Texas State Vet and ask if you need them for the other animals as well or contact your vet and have them check for you.

I would call a realtor who does rentals and ask if they have anything that fits your needs and price. This should be setup before you get there, because it will put further stress on the animals, not getting out of the trailer. They can do OK for a few days, but not a long stay in there. Keep looking. You have some time left.

Be careful not to change the temperature too much with air conditioning. You don't want the cold air blowing directly on the animals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.