The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two Nigerian Does are pregnant and due for August 24th and September 10th. Unfortunately our living situation is going haywire, and we may need to move to a new location with them soon.
I'm wondering if it would be really dangerous for them to have to travel about 2 hours, probably in the back of a pick up (with the shell on, not out in the open air) or in an SUV, while pregnant?

I'd like to avoid moving them before kidding if it all possible. It's hard to know what's going to happen at this point. I would hate to induce a miscarriage or early labor or something horrible. :(

Any tips or previous experiences with moving pregnant goats?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I know a bunch of people frown upon it but my does do fine heavily pregnant and traveling. As long as I sit with them in the back of the SUV. If they are friendly and are attached to you, I believe they should be fine. As long as your are right next to them the whole way!!:)
Good luck traveling and good luck kidding.
Also, could you have your doe due the 24th try and hold the baby til the 25th?:)
Haha, that's my birthday.
I've attached a few photos of my doe traveling a week and 2 days before she kidded. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the replies, that's very reassuring!

@emilieanne - Wouldn't that be great if I could get her to plan her kidding? :D
Your doe looks so much like my Delphinium!! Their coloring is really similar, although my girl's not quite as big as she is in that picture... soon though!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
She had twins!:)

She was quite big!!
And that would be AMAZING if she could plan it!! If I get on TGS and see a birth announcement on my birthday, ooooh that'll make my day!!:) lol.

·
Registered
450 Posts
We actually recently did this and I was a nervous wreck. We had the opportunity to purchase two heavy bred does from 3 1/2 hours away. I asked my mentors and, of course, thier breeder/owner and all assured me that the does would do fine.

They were right ! both does settled in and kidded with no complications about 3 weeks from coming to us :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts