Moving to the rich green stuff (grass)

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by crocee, Mar 28, 2010.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am getting ready to move the girls to the larger pen, all that's left its to get 1 section of fence up and the gate. By the time I get that done the grass will be green, thick, and about 8" tall. I have been hand cutting a wheel barrow full and throwing it to them in their smaller pen to help condition their rumens for the move. Is there anything else I can do to help ensure they don't bloat when moved? The smaller pen is pretty much grassless as they think they're sheep.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    To start ...I would put them in the lush green area... only an hour or 2 and slowly increase the daily grazing each day.. at a slow pace.....also have free choice baking soda for bloat.... :wink:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The BS is good to have out...what I do is fill their bellies with hay before they go out to get the green stuff, hay fills them up and helps to keep them from gorging.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yep, out a liitle at a time but a rumen full of hay before hand and baking soda available!
    They should be fine. My girls came from the dry side of the state, didnt even know what that green stuff was coming out of the ground!