The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm new. Is this where I can ask about cheese making? I am making raw goat milk mozzarella (obviously!) :)

It turns out great and delicious but there's about a cup of what looks like very thick milk or cream when I have the strained cheese in a bowl just out of the microwave. Also, I ended up with about .7lbs of cheese from 1 gallon of milk. Is that about what I should expect?

My only concern with the cream separation when it's heated for kneading is that I won't want to end up with low fat cheese.

I'd love any advice on what I may be doing wrong, or if this is normal for raw goat milk.

For reference, when I originally drained the whole thing after getting a clean break (which really wasn't very clean, but the whole mess was in a big white lump), the whey was basically yellow/clear-ish (not white like milk) .

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Thats normal. I make it quite often and happens each time. The amount you are getting is alittle low. might wanna increase your rennet by a half tablet per gallon as the later in lactation the more you typically need. A few other things to increase butter fat is to increase the quality of feed they are getting. Giving a half cup of baking soda a day will also increase it and clean up the taste a bit. And each doe is different, she may just be a lower butter fat goat.

On a side note. You can turn mozzarella into almost rubber if you keep taking more and more of the whey outta it :) Almost chews like gum!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thats normal. I make it quite often and happens each time. The amount you are getting is alittle low. might wanna increase your rennet by a half tablet per gallon as the later in lactation the more you typically need. A few other things to increase butter fat is to increase the quality of feed they are getting. Giving a half cup of baking soda a day will also increase it and clean up the taste a bit. And each doe is different, she may just be a lower butter fat goat.

On a side note. You can turn mozzarella into almost rubber if you keep taking more and more of the whey outta it :) Almost chews like gum!
Feed baking soda to the doe? What does that do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts