The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everybody!! Finally I am glad to say that I am making a post with no bad news. The source of the problems I was having was with the wrapped hay, everybody is looking EXCELLENT now!

I wanted to make a post about my experience with my first buck that is intact. We were given this little amazing man in May with the plans that he will be our first breeding buck, and he was SUCH a sweetheart since he was raised on the bottle from a local family with kids who adored him. He still is sweet as pie but I swear to you all that within 1 week he completely transformed.

Rut has begun, the girls are in heat, and he went from being the adorable little man you see in the above photo to being SO GROSS! lol. He is covered in dirt and pee, is making really nasty noises, mounting all the goats, (including 2 wethers), and he keeps licking me every time I go out to say hello.

I was warned about this from all my research, and it was expected, but I didn't expect it to happen so fast. It was like a light switch went off and he just changed very fast. He is snorting, whining and being absolutely crazy.

Does it stop after rut? Will I be able to hug him again, or will he forever be covered in pee? I am not separating him out this year as I have 3 other bucklings who are born of registered moms. The bucklings are chamoisse (not sure how to spell), and I am planning on keeping 3 for breeding, in their own enclosure, but not until next spring as I want the 2 boys to remain with their moms through the winter.

I am so happy things are finally going good on the farm. Here is a video of my property, and my favorite goat Cookie Mueller who my farm logo is based off of. She responds to her name every time with her little voice!

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
that is great that things have started to turn around for you.

I have to say WELCOME TO OWNING A BUCK. ;):laugh: Yep it does happens that fast most of the time.

Yes you will be able to love all over him again but you might want to give him a bath first. :D

·
8,197 Posts
It seems like the more nasty they are, the more they want to rub on you! Especially if you are trying to hurry up and feed them to get to work!
I am glad I work by myself- seems like I can smell buck on me even after a good washing! (Watch out that the buck kids don't try and breed their moms!)
I'm glad things are getting better for you!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Lovely farm and beautiful goats. How polite Ms. Cookie is! What a nice girl. :)

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Good news!!: ) its a good feeling not to have problems for sure...And you think your little sweet man is bad now..wait until hes older...its only gets worse with each season lol..but they do come out of rut and clean up and calm down and become that sweet loving smell free goat again...my Amos is super gross..I cant see a bit of white on him ( hes saanen) and I have to do his hooves weekly right now, (selenium def. bad hooves and he makes me stop so he can properly pee on himself and have a dripping beard to slosh and share!! YAH..lovely..and those kisses he demands ...Yep..Bucks can be gross..but we have off season to catch up on loving and brushing and all the things they miss during rut!!:p

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
ROFL , thats wonderful news :)
I feel your pain , this is my first rutting season with my bucks.
I was loving and hugging those boys one day and running from them the next ! Ewwwwwwww , lolol.
I cant wait till the day they get a bath :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Lol, yep, all my little bucklings that were such sweet cuddly babies this year, are peeing all over their legs and faces, and starting to stink.

By the way. Legends Creek Farm, did you ever get a picture of the doe after her horns came off? I'm still curious to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Quick question, do Nigerian bucks rut seasonally as well (or are they always stinky), and can a buck breed anytime even if not in rut?
My pygmy buck stinks all the time, Nigerian is only a year old so he doesn't smell at all right now. They will try to breed any time, it doesn't seem like my bucks have a rut season. Wait... They do. It's ALL the time! Lol!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Quick question, do Nigerian bucks rut seasonally as well (or are they always stinky), and can a buck breed anytime even if not in rut?
Nigerians can breed year round but Bleu came into a more active rut along with my other boys..

·
1,524 Posts
My Nigerian bucks would be smell free until fall, when they became smelly stud muffins over night.

My big Nubian buck is leased out now. I went to breed one of the only 2 does I have for him (thats why I leased him out) yesterday. Of course he had to stick his smelly, pee soaked and dripping nose into my face for a kiss. I cringed, but I did give him one. He's such a sweetie and loves his kisses. My Lamancha buck, I won't kiss for nuthin'! He has long bangs and high, long sideburns that are so soaked in pee that there isn't a pee free area on his face right now!

Yes, bucks are gross. I don't see what the does see (or smell!) in them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts