Mt. Redoubt Eruption ORANGE

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by AlaskaBoers, Jan 28, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Mt. Redoubt is a volcano, about 140 miles from my home, the last few days, the volcano hs become very active and the level is now moved up from 'Advisory' to 'watch' or code 'orange'. so.....

the last time the volcano erupted is in '89...i think. last time it erupted it blanketed anchorage with a thin layer or ash. and they shut down school. Really hope it waits.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    waits for what? Sounds kind of scary

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i dont know, actually i dont even remember typing it :) ....either way, i hope we dont get much ash...

4. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    How exciting! Maybe you can collect ash for AVO.

5. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Sort of scary, but yet cool. How many people get to see such a thing?

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ohhh, i hope everything goes ok. last time I was around a volcano that "blew" I was very young. I don't remember it, but we have pictures. Everyone was wearing masks outside so not to inhale the ash as we cleaned it up like "snow".

Would the ash pose a problem to the goats respitory like it does humans?

My thoughts are with you.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hope things will be OK......... :hug: :pray:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    we wouldnt get that much ash, but all of the animals would need to be kept indoors.....hmm *pictures goats running all over their house*
    and thats fine with me! Lol

9. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    lol Katrina!
    Maybe not for your family =D

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I used to live in Pasco Washington, we moved about 5 minutes (?) before Mt. St. Helens blew up. No, seriously, we were barely out of the state. It covered the area were we had lived with 4-5 inches of ash! Ruined everybodies cars, what a mess! Sure was glad I missed it! Good luck!

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks for the link Katrina, DH wanted to check on it ,but could find anything, but the eruption years ago... :thumbup:

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    That's right, volcanic ash is not like wood ash, it's more like really fine sand. I'm a Dental Technician, we use pumice (fine volcanic rock), to polish dentures and partial dentures. It will ruin your car engine, so try not to drive until the ash totally settled and is somewhat cleaned up. I'd get a couple of big tarps and cover my vehicles. Go to the store and stock up if you can. Good luck!

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Di is abslotely right about engines! We were driving an old VW bug from Wa state to Ohio a few months after St Helen's. Nothing but trouble in that little car the fuel filter gave out.
    Been wondering how you all are doing up North with the possibility. Please keep us posted if you can as we keep up with the news...