muchos disappointments

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Dec 22, 2008.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well I got home this morning - to find that Harmony was in raging season. She must have been in season yesterday too as she didnt look like she was just coming in. To make matters worse... she was hobbling/hopping around on 3 legs, being totally unable to put any weight on her right rear leg. So not only was she in heat, but I couldnt take her to the buck because she wouldnt be able to stand with his weight on her when she could only use 1 back leg.

(btw it was footrot, and I have started treating it with strong antibiotics)

I am disappointed because I had phoned twice daily to check on the goats and had been told that they werent in heat... etc. and why Harmony's foot was let get that bad I have no idea. So Harmony will have no babies this year, and I will not know whether Demi is in kid or not until I get her scanned at the end of January. I am hoping and praying that at least she will be in kid - as if she is not, that means no goatbabies for me in 2009 :cry:

I really dont know what Im going to do next year, I'm at my wits end...

*sighs muchly*

LW

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I am so sorry :( :hug: you cant breed her in January?

Miss Demi wouldnt disapoint you --- she will be with kid I just know it!!!

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That's too bad, I'm really sorry. Here's hoping that Demi is preggo though!!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry about the news.

How did she get foot rot? Are you all in a lot of snow or moisture or something?

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Aww.. ='(

I know a cure LW!

Get a couple more does and have them bred! Yippee!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    footrot is fairly common where I am. It's a very wet area, and the sheep get it all the time. I usually treat them with antibiotics as soon as they start limping a little bit, so that it doesnt get bad.

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm sorry, that would be very disappointing not to have any kids when you want them so bad.

I'm agreeing with Amos... you probably need to buy another doe or two who are already bred! :)