The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe that may be bred (I had a “wether” with a failed burdizzo on one side, so I am unsure of dates). I know she went into heat end of July, and I thought she went into heat at the end of August, but I wasn’t sure. I’ve not seen any signs of heat since.
Today, I saw this on her backside. Is it a mucus plug or just dirt carefully placed to tease me into thinking I could have my very first baby soon???

I am attaching two pics of her backside from today, and one from above (the above pic was taken a week or so ago). Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well she looks preggo. What do her ligaments feel like?
I've never done this before, so forgive my newbie-ness! I am feeling on her and some of my other does trying to feel a difference...all I feel is the spine and then the ridge of pelvis. Sigh.. I watched some more videos this evening and will try again to feel them in the morning. She's acting fine, eating fine, running with her herd all over the field.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I found the ligaments (I was feeling too far out from the bone). They felt firm. I took a few more pics of her side - between her black color and the dark skies from rain, it’s hard to see much. She seemed a little sunken near her pelvis - maybe. She was sold to me as NGD, but I think she’s got some Pygmy in her, as she and her sister have a “stockiness” to her that my “NGDs from registered lines” don’t have (these are pet goats, so I’m happy as long as healthy and friendly, but more of a reference for y’all on her baseline build). From my excessive reading in the last 24hrs, I’m THINKING that she probably did go into that heat in late August, so I’m probably a few weeks away from delivery...do you experienced folks agree?

I gave her selenium/vit E gel this morning. She had her second CDT 6 months ago - does she still need a booster now, prior to delivery? (The sellers didn’t believe in vaccines, so I started the 2 dose series after I got her). She got copper bolused in September (her black was washing out and some fish tail - looks much better now). Since September, she has free access to wind/rain storm loose minerals, cobalt block, deer salt block. Free choice alfalfa when the goats are penned up overnight, grazes few acre “yard/pasture” during the day, and dumor goat pellets twice a day (about 1 cup - it’s a free for all amongst the goaties for pellets, but everyone gets some).

All recommendations/thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
How is her udder?
When did it begin to form?
I do see a little something there.

If she was in heat in July and was bred, she is right on schedule to kid late December. They begin an udder around 1 to 1 1/2 months prior.
Her udder is hard to see though in the pics.

They will have a late term discharge like that. A month or so prior, you will see this.

If her ligs are solid, she may of been bred in August.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is her udder?
When did it begin to form?
I do see a little something there.

If she was in heat in July and was bred, she is right on schedule to kid late December. They begin an udder around 1 to 1 1/2 months prior.
Her udder is hard to see though in the pics.

They will have a late term discharge like that. A month or so prior, you will see this.

If her ligs are solid, she may of been bred in August.
What are you referring to with "I do see a little something there"? Trying to know what to look for.

No udder development yet. I wasn't tracking heats til I realized the wether I got in June was NOT shooting blanks! ‍♀ You made me realize, though: I had put an alert in my calendar 150 days out from when I got the buck, not the heat in July... whew - I SHOULD be good for at least a couple more weeks then. She's a small doe, so I'm hoping for as late as possible for her to keep maturing. I have a couple older does that I bred with my intended herdsire, but they aren't due til after the first of the year. This one was the "oops".

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
A little bulge on her right side. With her compared to the pale tan girl. She looks much larger. Her stance looks wide in the hips. To me she looks prego. But the udder tells me the most. My girls utter gets so large it looks shiny, like it has stretched as far as it can go. Usually the next day..babies!

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little bulge on her right side. With her compared to the pale tan girl. She looks much larger. Her stance looks wide in the hips. To me she looks prego. But the udder tells me the most. My girls utter gets so large it looks shiny, like it has stretched as far as it can go. Usually the next day..babies!
That is an impressive udder!!!

One of my older does is just starting to show some udder development! I noticed it when is was putting everyone to bed. I'm so excited for kidding! All the girls are getting used to me feeling ligaments everyday - I want to be 100% familiar with everyone's baseline.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I'm confused. Is that a current picture of her udder? Because it looks like a bubble coming out of her vulva. Which would indicate she is in labor and about to give birth.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Ksalvagno..that is a picture of my myotonic doe. You are correct she is preparing to deliver. I was showing coolbreze89 the large utter that develops right before labor. It was the only picture I had of a small doe to help her see the utter change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts