The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am BRAND new to this forum but the way I found it is I was searching for info to figure out what is wrong with my goat... We just recently rescued Vincent. We have had him for about a month now. He has been castrated (2 weeks ago) and got all his vaccines. He wasnt in great shape but he has been gaining weight steadily and is a great goat! (Even though he only has one ear) we love him to death... Well this morning I noticed a lump on his ear... then I started feeling around and found more lumps on the top of his ear and onto the top of his head.. while I was feeling around the one on the lower part of his ear burst and out came a very think yellowish cream... I have read about CL but havent seen anyone say that it shows up on TOP of their ears or head... Any ideas?? I am attaching pictures.. Any help would be greatly appreciated... I dont know if I should lance they other lumps and drain them or what?

He is the only goat on our property. We dont have any others. I dont know anything about his past up until a month ago. One of his ears was ripped off by a dog the best we can tell. He found in an abandoned house in the city.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
If he has a whole bunch over his head and ear, it could be mites and that is a secondary infection due to mites. If you can save the pus, you could have it tested for CL.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
My thoughts are, given his history, that they are infected tooth punctures from the dog. Yes on opening them up. They should be cleaned well with Betadine or dilute iodine several times a day. They need to heal from the inside out so, don't use Neosporin or other things like this to seal them. Keep them open.
Good job on saving this little guy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much! I will save what drains and take to vet to have tested. I will probably sit down and lance open and clean them all later tonight. Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
wow..poor guy!! so glad he fell into your hands...I agree with Goat hiker..when lancing, be sure to flush the cyst a few times a day withthe same solution Goat hiker suggested...use a syringe with no needle...I think I would also put him on penicillin for 5 -7 days.. just to help with any infection there...take his temp too..normal range is 101.5-103.5
B complex is a great vitamine in times of stress...

once you have him well onhis way to being healed...consider a friend...he wil be much happier with a goat buddy : ) Another wether perhaps..?

A note on Penicillin: do this Sub Q and be suret o pull back the plunger..No blood..good to go..see blood, re adjust and try again..;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts