The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, very weird question. Can a goat successfully get pregnant on two separate heats and have two separate due dates? I'm only in my third year of kidding, so I don't have a ton of experience. One of my Nubian does (whom I've bred each of the 3 years with no problems) kidded with two healthy kids two and a half weeks ago. Ever since then, she's been restless and unhappy, but otherwise healthy. The kids are perfectly happy and healthy. I started milking her yesterday and all seems fine there, too. BUT, she cries every time she sees me and doesn't stop, despite the fact that she has free choice hay, hay pellets, salt, minerals, water and baking soda at all times. Then, when I leave the area around her pen, she yells dramatically and keeps it up for at least 15 minutes. She got REALLY fat this year while she was pregnant and is still quite fat. She has never been a heavy goat in the past. Today, after I milked her, she went back into her stall, made a nest and started making the pregnant doe noises again. Is there any possibility she has more in there? Crazy question, I know. But I just can't figure out what her problem is.

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
If there are any more in there, they will probably be dead. If you question it at all, I would have the vet out and check her.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
could be she is back in heat...tis the season...they can get quite mouthy while in heat
as for breeding in two different cycles..I would say no...Once she is bred she would not come back into heat...if she had any kids still in her I would think she would be running fever and acting ill...not restless...
Karen is correct,if you worry about her, then have a vet look at her for piece of mind..
in the mean time
get her temp,

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not sure about goats but we had a RARE RARE RARE case of this happening with a cow. She got pregnant with twins calved a dead baby premature then a week later calved a healthy full term calf. Vet was shocked said usually if it does happen which he has never experienced it himself all babies are dead. Definitely get her checked out if you think there is the possibility. More than likely kids would be dead which can cause major infection and very hard for mom to recover (which happened to our cow).

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Ive heard of goats aborting a baby that died and carried the rest to full term, but this is rare..and different then one getting bred two different dates and carrying two seperate sets of kids..;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts