The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new six-month old buck. I wormed him with safeguard and Albon. He is still ribby so I checked his eye membranes an they are pure white! What should I put on my shopping list for tomorrow?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely agree with enchanted goats. Treat asap. Red cell daily. May give b complex too. Nutrient absorptlessened when that wormy.

·
2,377 Posts
You mean .. his eye lids were pale. If it's white.. he is on a dangerous slide. I definitely would use a better de-wormer like ivermectin then give pro-bios the next day and all those other things for blood re-building.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I agree. Ivomec plus covers a good load of worms...1 cc per 40# sub Q is my prefer method..especially when heavy burdened..

Red Cell 6 cc per 100# double day one then reg. dose for a week then once a week until color returns OR you can choose iron injections..Ferrodex 100 and Dextran iron are both OTC...
Vit B 12 which is a vet prescribed Vitamin or if you can fine B complex PLUS which has a good amount of the 12 in it...this is not B complex or fortified B complex..its the PLUS...
here is a good article on anemia
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html
High protein Feed, alfalfa and green leaves will help rebuild his red blood cells
Keep him well hydrated...here is a good home made electrolyte you can try...
Homemade ElectrolytesA half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I did check the lower eyelids. All my other goats are perfect. I was thinking about taking a fecal to the vet and getting what I need from him. He has free access to browse on grass hay, and gets 1 pound of noble goat per day.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Poor little guy looks so sad...Worms do not always cause scours...A fecal would be wise..be sure to do a cocci check as well.
Safe guard no longer works in most areas..its good for tape worms only and then you have to really dose high...Valbazen or Ivomec plus is what I recommend because it get liver fluke where other dont..liver fluke eggs look a lot like barpole worms and can easily be mistaken...best to cover your bases...
I would still continue or do everything suggested above..

Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just dropped off a fecal sample. I will let you know the results.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Results are in already! He is loaded with Cocci. So I am picking up new worming meds for him and the remaining goats as a precaution. I will update this thread on our journey.

·
Registered
899 Posts
What sassykat6181 said. I treat coccidia with di-methox 12.5% administered orally. It is a 5 day treatment course. Day 1 give 1cc per 5 lbs body weight. Days 2-5 give 1cc per 10 lbs body weight. Do not skip a day. Also give the treatments listed previously for anemia. Good luck, I wish you and your boy the best.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My vet actually prescribed Panacur for my whole herd. I guess this wont work?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I picked up the new meds and some red cell! He seems better today.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was able to get Dimethox, red cell, probios, Vit b complex, and D. Earth.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts