The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it be safe to breed her to a larger buck as she's so small?(Still pygmy just bigger than her.)At 2 two years old she wieghed 27 lbs and is 17" tall.She will be 3 on April 8.She has never been bred because she is small but I think it's time to breed her and see how she does.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow! You have a pygmy pygmy goat
My one 8 month old doe is like 35lbs I suppose. Feels like more when she comes running and jumps on me. If she was my pygmy, I would keep her as a pet or sell her. I'd be to afraid to breed her. She's a tiny tot!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
goatnutty said:
Would it be safe to breed her to a larger buck as she's so small?(Still pygmy just bigger than her.)At 2 two years old she wieghed 27 lbs and is 17" tall.She will be 3 on April 8.She has never been bred because she is small but I think it's time to breed her and see how she does.
how did you weigh her?

She is rather tiny in weight to be breeding.

Her height is fine and i would really believe that she weighs more. Try weighing yourself and then picking her up and weighing you both. Subtract your first weight from the second weight adn you have your does weight.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well she has gained some weight.That was back in August.She was underweight when she came here but I don't know exactly how much she ways.That is how we weighed her.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
The majority of first fresheners do have singles, but I've had them have twins and triplets as well. The more they have, the smaller the babies are at birth which in turn makes delivery easier on the dam as the kids aren't as huge to pass. A single huge kid is much harder on a doe to deliver than 2 or 3 small ones who slip right out. LOL

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Multiples depends upon how much the doe was fed before and during heat, the amount of food will determine the number of eggs the doe will release. I always like twins the best, I never like singles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts