The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have mushrooms taking over parts of your pasture? I hadn't seen my goats being interested in them (I've been trying to kick them apart), but tonight I've got a goat that all of a sudden has scours, and one that recovered from some unknown cause of going off feed last week. Now I'm wondering if the mushrooms are the culprit (and whether the goats are secretly nibbling on them).

Do any of you have any tried-and-true ways of eliminating the mushrooms?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Pick them... roots and all, when you kick them to scatter and break them, you are spreading the spores to propagate in the future.

Do you know what kind they are? If you do a google search for wild mushrooms in your area you can find out wether or not they are toxic or edible.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What Liz said. The mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of a fungal organism which is a product of, and contributing to, your pasture's good health. Identification of the species would be helpful. Can you post photos? Are there more than one kind?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll get some pictures tomorrow. They're big mushrooms, that's all I can say. Yeah, I didn't really think about spreading the spores. Great.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you spread baking soda over the area.....they will not regrow ;)

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I would def take photos. I get these mushrooms all over! I took a photo and asked my local cooperative extension and found out they are a kind of stink mushroom. The top is shaped like male anatomy. I can't remember the name. Safe, just stinky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts