The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4F Nigerian dwarf that is due April 19 (hard date on that). I noticed yesterday her bag starting to fill significantly more (not tight though) and she has been sitting off a lot more. She’s still eating and drinking great and certainly not feeling ill but definitely like this pregnancy has run it’s course. I went out and checked her ligaments this morning and they are very mushy. She technically could go 5 days earlier which would bring us to April 14th but her ligs feel to mushy for her to hold onto this babies for an entire week. If she went in the next 3 or 4 days how concerned should I be? Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It sounds like she's having the kids early, congrats!

If you're concerned with how much milk she is holding, you could milk her a little. If the kids come early you want there to be enough milk for all.

Hope to see happy, bouncy kids soon!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It is an iffy time if she goes now.
How iffy are we talking? I do have Dex on hand. Should I give her a shot? I don't want to give her anything that if I'm wrong will be bad for babies. But, with what I'm feeling I don't see how she's going to hold onto them for 7 more days to make it to 140 days. Unless somehow they become pencils by this evening and she's just torturing me (per her usual )

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like she's having the kids early, congrats!

If you're concerned with how much milk she is holding, you could milk her a little. If the kids come early you want there to be enough milk for all.

Hope to see happy, bouncy kids soon!
I'm not too concerned with milk but that's a good suggestion. I may have my husband buy some whole milk to have on hand in case. We have colostrum in the freezer so that's not a concern. She is thought to have several babies so I anticipate pulling 1 or 2 anyways. Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the first image was of her udder yesterday and second of her udder today. It is not drastically bigger or tight as I mentioned but has definitely grown. I checked her ligs again and they are still very mushy. They are there if I move her just right but barely. I called my vet and I’m just waiting for her advice. I just need her to make it until the 14th!

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. Don't give Dex. That will abort her. Just wait and see. She may not even go right now.
I honestly didn't know that. I thought usually Lute would be used. I thought Dex was used to help the kids kings development. Hmm. I'm waiting on the vet and just hoping nothing happens and I'm worried for nothing. Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How's your girl and you holding up?
Freaking doe code, man. I honestly should have known better.. but as always they get the best of you lol. So, she had the mushiest saggiest ligaments for days. I mean they were barely there and felt like saggy clothesline (best way to describe). Her bag had been filling little by little ... then yesterday BAM there's ligaments again.. smh. They are still soft as ever (especially compared to the 2 girls that are due just 4 and 5 days after her) but they are there. I'm feeling more confident that she'll hold out until 142-145 days. I am both bummed and relieved. I am so anxious for babies but not at the expense of having sick/dead preemies. I'll def note this for next kidding season that she loosens fresh early. Thanks for checking in!

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Just remember every pregnancy is different.

Just a thought though.
Someone suggested milking prior to the birth. I recommend to NEVER do this as you'll be introducing bacteria into the teat. The teats are plugged before birth to protect the udder from mastitis and if you unplug it germs can and will enter the teat you're risking the udder and the doe to infection!

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I agree, never milk prior, unless she has a very hard large udder,
teats are ballooning way out of whack, reddened or bruised with mastitis.
I am not talking just firm.
Any mastitis pre kidding will have to be treated, if that happens, no matter.

She may even be in pain or off feed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just remember every pregnancy is different.

Just a thought though.
Someone suggested milking prior to the birth. I recommend to NEVER do this as you'll be introducing bacteria into the teat. The teats are plugged before birth to protect the udder from mastitis and if you unplug it germs can and will enter the teat you're risking the udder and the doe to infection!
Yes! Thank you. I personally would never milk a mama prior to kidding even if I needed milk. I always have frozen colostrum from mine or my friends does. I would personally just buy whole milk or ask my friend for fresh milk from her doe. Thank you though!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I posted a new thread but haven’t gotten any feedback. I can’t even find the thread without searching for my key words so idk what the heck I did. If you don’t mind I’m going to ask it here for you experts, please

I’m honestly sorry I’ve posted so much lately. This is our second year of kidding and first year with FF. I’m a nervous wreck by nature so honestly I won’t sit here and pretend I wouldn’t ask 100 questions even if I’ve done this for the last 10 years.

When a doe has lost her ligaments are you able to feel any ligaments at all if you manipulate and “dig” for them? If my doe is just standing nicely in place her ligaments are gone.. but if I move her hips and have her walk I can feel the tiniest bit deep deep down. Is this them being “gone”?

Also, in a doe that has lost her ligaments would you notice/feel any fetal movement if there are multiples? I have heard that if kidding is within the next 12-24 hours kids don’t move. Thishonestly doesn’t seem right to me but I’m clearly not the professional. Thanks for any feedback here! It’s of coursebasically a hurricane here today and will likely lose my camera connection (doe code) so I just want to get a better feel for if I should be going out there every few hours tonight if I do lose connection.
Thanks again

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Yes, keep an eye on her if for no other reason it'll make you feel better.
Mushy ligs can come and go but if by her tail it looks really sunken in and that's when you'll know they're gone for good.
I've had very active babies up till delivery then others where I couldn't feel them move for the life of me. It depends on the doe and pregnancy.
Good luck and happy Kidding!
You'll be ok.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts