The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up yesterday to my doeling dragging her back legs unable to stand. Trip to vet and they said her back wasn't broken maybe a pinched nerve. Gave her steroid shots and said either she will get better or not. She is standing now and nursing but back legs are wobbly. Any advice?

·
1,384 Posts
Keep her close to her mom, Did they send you any meds home? What steroid did they use, Dexamethazone can be given for several days. Also banamine can be given.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They sent her home with two more steroid shots given today and tomorrow. She is in stall with mom and up and nursing but wobbly on her back legs. This was my favorite baby too. :/

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Good job an acting quickly with her...also in keeping her with mom ..!!! be sure she can nurse andkeep up her strength is important ;)
Messages might help as well..increasing blood flow..

·
1,384 Posts
if she is somewhat better, but not totally improved, or relapses after the last shot, I would get 2 or 3 days more. you can give up to 5 days for sure, and even longer. you can also give it and then taper off the dosages if given for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, she was in small area adjacent to barn first few weeks and their pasture does not have deer. We have deer in the area so I am familiar with M worm and the effects on llamas/alpacas but wasn't aware that it is a concern for goats.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Slugs and snails can carry M worm into the pasture. If you aren't positive how the problem happened, I would treat for M Worm and do it like you would for llamas and alpacas.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I agree...treating for MW is wise since you have White tail on your area....its not much more than you are doing already...

Karen will correct me if IM wrong :D But its safeguard 1 cc per 7 pounds for three days...then Ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# for 3 days..and Dex which you are already giving...for five days...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone know the dosage for Safeguard if you buy the horse paste at 100 mg/ gram? And the Ivomec plus is the injectable cattle wormer given orally right?

·
Registered
30,594 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
For normal dosing of Safeguard, you would do 3 times the horse dose. I would go 4 times the horse dose for M worm. Safeguard is safe if overdosed and you really have to kill those larva in the spine. Ivomec doesn't kill the larva in the spine so it is critical to use the Safeguard.

Also the Ivomec has to be given by shot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts