The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here. Im going to go at this as IF my goats have NEVER seen a Vet. or any meds of any kind and have no idea what there background is (that's basically how it is) This is what I want to do

1st Im drying up my milker
Then I want to WORM ALL of them at the same time with medications to get ride of everything they possibly have (Im going to ASSUME its everything) I know it sounds big at the moment but I just want to get them all clean and fresh IF I have to stress the bodies I want to it all at one time and get it over with. Now I know there are some that you need to give every day for 5 days and another that you give for 3 days in a role and then 1once every 10 days for so many times then after that a 30 day booster. I want to get ALL that done. I need to know what meds and how to dose and for how long so I can do this.
THEN
I want to prep them to bred. What, when, how should I start feeding BEFORE I breed her to condition her and prepair her body for whats to come. Do I give copper boluses, whats the name of them, Do I give them shots? What kind, I need the names and what its for (yes I am also approaching this as if they all have never had anything at all.) Do they need Selenium & E before or after I breed them and if so IS it the day before/of/after she was bred. Do I do it again before she kids and how long before she kids?
Does she need vitiman shots, before after? Tell me please in clear newby language please.
Let me give you and example of something things of what I have picked up.
Its best to worm before breeding and then again the day she kids.
I know that you feed them good (how long not sure) a bit before you bred them to help them conceve/settle/take. How long do you continue to do this after you know she has been bred? I know you don't feed tons during the pregnancy don't want to big of kids to make delivery difficult, so only increase a week or 2 ( or is it months) before she kids. But what kinds of food would be best for her. Baby is supposed to get a shot day of birth (IF??) mom was or wasn't vaccinated for something or the other while she was prego? Kids need disbudded with in a week after kidding. What else is momma gonna need before I bred her, after I breed her and when baby is born? What all is baby gonna need once its born?

THanks so much for your patients and understanding and WONDERUL help!

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
IF they appear unthrifty...rough coat, skinny etc. that would warrant a worming, Ivermectin is a wormer that gets rid of many types of stomach worms and some intestinal worms but that is only if it still works for your area, Safeguard/Panacur may still work for intestinal worms but again, not in all areas.

IF they have never had a CD/T do it now and booster in 3 weeks, give another 2cc at 4 weeks before delivery.
Within a week, if dam has not been vac'd with CD/T kids should get a tetanus anti toxin to help protect them when disbudding.
As far as feeding pregnant does, dry does here are given no grain until they are at 60 days bred then it's cut by half at 120 days and upped again after delivery to accomodate lactation.
All goats get a good loose mineral, mixed grass hay, alfalfa pellets and preggers get additional alfalfa with 1-3 TUMS per day for calcium.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Liz, Thanks for the info, one thing Im not grasping is

" dry does here are given no grain until they are at 60 days bred then it's cut by half at 120 days "

how do you cut it in half at 120 days when there not getting anything? Im sure Im miss understanding something. lol :eek: and how much are you giving at 120 days? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I start giving them 1 cup of 18% once they are 2 months pregnant.... before that, my goats don't get grain. Once they are at 120 days pregnant or 4 months, I cut the grain by half.

Kids in utero do the most system developing during the 2nd and 3rd months of pregnancy, after that they grow... cutting the concentrated feed and making sure the mom still gets her minerals and quality hay keeps kids a manageable size for delivery.
I only started this manner of giving grain a few years ago and before that I was feeding my girls grain every day and year round, pregnant does got a bit more and my pygmy/nigerian cross kids were HUGE at birth...even multiples averaged 4lbs each, hard on moms to deliver :(

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Remember that when you are breeding goats, you are also breeding parasites. Keep their breeding program in mind as well. You never ever want to go through your herd and try to kill off every parasite that they might have in every animal. This type of thing leaves only the strongest drug resistant parasites left to breed together. This means that soon, no wormers will work in your herd. Always leave some weaker non-resistant parasites in 1 or 2 animals to breed with the stronger ones. This way your wormers will continue working much longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts