My 1st weird question of the year...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by The1moe, Jan 7, 2011.

1. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I have a small goat I think is mostly nubian but not sure.... Now don't laugh but here goes...
    I believe she is preg. Now, when she kids and then weans the kid... will she need to be milked everyday? I don't believe this will be the case with the boer goats I have.. but not sure about this little one... :laugh:
    There, I got it out of the way...

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just because a goat is of the dairy breed doesnt mean they have to be milked. But if you wean the kid/s early (meaning before she does) then she will need to be slowly dried off so that she doesnt develop mastitis. A doe will start to wean her kids at 8+ weeks but may nurse all the way till they are 4-6 months of age.

If you retain the kid and leave with mom then you wont ever have to dry the doe off

Now you say your doe is small but you think she is part Nubian, you do know that Nubians are a very large breed right?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey... :)

Can you get a pic of her? Seems odd... that if she is small ...and she has nubian in her....... nubians.... are very tall and big animals.... :scratch: :wink: :thumb:

4. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Just wanted to add that if she happens to be a very good producer you may have to milk her even while the kids are nursing. It's pretty unlikely that she will be that heavy of a producer if she is only part dairy breed, but not impossible. Just wanted you to be aware of the possibility. Other than that I agree with the above posts. If she's really small maybe you were thinking of Nigerian, not Nubian...

5. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    She could be a cross with a smaller breed like a Pygmy or Nigerian Dwarf and could have the smaller frame of that breed.

Karla

6. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    This is Bella... I was told she is part Nubian by the folks that come by and trim the goats feet.. she only weighs about 50 pounds and much smaller than the boer goats I have... she has those thingydingies under her chin...

Attached Files:

7. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    She looks part nigi to me...

8. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    I sure don't see any Nubian in there, I'd bet Nigi...

9. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Unfortunately, I believe whe is preg from Rudy who is a boer... due to my own stupidity... Not sure what I am going to do when she comes due... either way I think it is going to be brutal...

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just dont over feed her in the later part of her pregnancy -- those last weeks are crucial that she get little to no grain and just give hay. This way the kids dont grow to big.

Have a vet's number you can call in case of emergency. I know of oops breedings that lead to kids from larger sires and mom and kids are fine -- its just not something we recommend doing because of the risks but its not always doom and gloom

and yes I agree I dont see any nubian in her - she looks to have Nigerian to me

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Thanks for getting a pic.... :)

I agree...I am sorry but.... I see no nubian either....she is a pretty doe though..... :wink: :thumb:

12. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Thanks guys... I have a good number just in case... after she delivers I will probable sell her so this doesn't happen again...

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California