My 2 does kidding thread - Update Both Kidded!

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Polarhug, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Well I've been on pins and needles the last week, since I posted that one doe was leaking milk and both have had various goops (clear, opaque white, amber & pink) come out their back ends for two weeks straight. I swear looking at their butts is like a "Taste the Rainbow" commercial... you never know what color you're gonna see next!

Nothing yet! According to my calendar there is a 3 week window from June 22-July 13 when the babies could be born. That leaves me 6 days of torture left. Ack!!

One doe "Blizzard" seems to be farther along. Ligaments are undetectable by me, she groans and moans, sniffs the ground and has a bigger bag. Sunken tummy and hollowed out back.

Other doe "Fireball" is by far the larger of the two. But not as many signs yet.

Of course since I am working today - they will have them. :ROFL:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: My 2 does kidding thread

Oh I know... they drive ya :crazy:

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I love the waiting game, my last doe to kid had hers today! My smaller doe kidded on Saturday - a single buck, and my larger doe kidded today -twins. The smaller doe had discharge for a long time, and gave the usual signs - ligs, udder, stringy discharge. My doe who kidded earlier had lost her ligs/udder filled, but no discharge. Had no idea she was in true labor until she was pushing!
    Anything is possible...you may get all the signs....or get nothing to warn you at all! Scary I know LOL

4. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska

No babies yet from my twin boer/nubie girls. Still waiting patiently! They have till Tuesday then they will be overdue.

I can't wait to get some cuties to love on.

5. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska

Both does kidded tonight! :leap:

We came home to 2 wet babies (one buckling, one doe) at 7pm from one mama. BOTH does were cleaning and talking to the kids - and allowing them to nurse! Then the other doe started pushing about 45 mins later and after about 10 mins she had her first baby doe! She wasn't big so I thought she was done. About 5 mins later out pops a 2nd tiny little doe! Again both mama's talking to the kids and cleaning them and allowing them to cross nurse. The 2nd doe is SO small, I'm really watching to make sure she makes it. They are all up and walking around though. They are both excellent mama's.

So we have
    :kidblue: :kidred:
    and
    :kidred: :kidred:

Is that normal for 2 moms to accept both babies and share them?
    Do the babies get confused? I made sure all got a drink right away.

Better pics coming later, it was getting dark out.

Attached Files:

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Awwwww they are CUTE! Have the mommas figured out which babies are which yet?

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    How cute!! Congrats! I have had does kid near each other at about the same time and they nursed each others kids. They might figure it out or they might just let each other's babies nurse.

8. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    As of now one doe lets all 4 kids nurse, the other doe lets 3 out of 4. She doesn't like the runt, which isn't hers anyway so its ok.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes.....strong mother instincts... the Doe ...will claim at birth someone else's kid(s) ..it usually happens when...2 Does kid really close to each other... at exactly the same moment .... then as a new kids searches for... the teat... may stray a bit... over to the wrong mom...latches on and walla...she will claim the kid...as her own....even if.. the smell of the other doe is on them......

if you have registered stock.... you may need to do DNA ....to see who belongs where.... :wink: A big congrats.... they are all cute as ever.... :love: :thumb: