The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
Thanks! Im still on the fence about my Nubian doe i have a beautiful polled ND i wanna use with her.
You're welcome! Do you know how much she weighs now? Has she put on more weight yet? I would love to see more pictures of your pretty girl. By the way, what is her name?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're welcome! Do you know how much she weighs now? Has she put on more weight yet? I would love to see more pictures of your pretty girl. By the way, what is her name?
Her registerd name is Age of Aquarius...i call her Aggie for short. Ill sneak out n see if i can get some pics. I was feeling her hips today shes definitely good n wide there. Just her overall weight i ponder about still lol. Ill be back

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Awww, I love the name Aggie! 🥰 While you're out there, measure her heart girth, that way you will have a good idea on her weight. I find a conversion chart for you. 😉

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'm not sure which "formula" is more accurate, but you could try both to compare if you want. I know just measuring the heart girth works pretty well for my Nigie does.
Vertebrate Working animal Organism Line Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Pretty girls!!

I think she looks better than last month! How old is Mable for size reference (since I'm more familiar with Nigerians)? And I think weighing her would be a great idea!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Handsome boy! Aggie was born in January, right? If so, age wise she's good, but I also think it would be very helpful to know her weight. 😉 🥰

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
U know i think going to try picking her up n taking her weight off mine on a regualr scale. Im gonna try atleast lol
That's even better than measuring....good luck I think you'll need it if your goats are anything like mine! Lol! 🤣👍

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
61 pounds according to that method lol she was pretty freaked out like woah why am i in the air! Lol man i thought she was up more than that that weight tape is a bit off than i know they can be but man i just want this girl fat! Lol
Lol!!

61lbs is still kind of little. I believe the minimum age and weight requirements for breeding standards is 8 months and 80lbs. Since you would breed her to a Nigerian, it might be okay if she weighs a little less than 80lbs, but I personally would probably not risk it. I also don't know if she would be able to gain 20lbs in only a month or two. Who knows, maybe she will go through a major growth spurt soon. She does seem a little small for her age, is she pure Nubian? If so, then she is most likely just a slow grower (nothing wrong with that). At the end of the day, Aggie is your doe and you get to decide if you should breed her or not. If she were mine, I would wait a few months, weight her again to she how much she gained and depending on the results, I would then decide if she can be bred this year or not. I know you will make the right decision for Aggie and her health, just go with your gut. 😉 🥰

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for fhe advice. Your right 61 is small. And yes shes pure nubian. I saw her parents too grandparents there all huge. As much i didnt want to im just going to give her until next October. And breed her with the group next time. Let her grow more over the next winter n summer i dont want to stunt her from growing to her full potential. Mable didnt get bred this year either so they will be virgins together! Lol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts