The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last year was her first time kidding. She delivered earlier than I expected so she delivered in the pen with the other pregnant does. By the time I went out there another doe had cleaned the kid and was nursing it.

I'm trying again this year. I have her alone in a smaller pen...but she's aggressive. It's a kicking battle when I try to touch her udder. She did it last year when I tried to milk her too. She didn't even bother cleaning her kid. She doesn't talk to her kid like my other pregnant does. I tried getting her to nurse last years baby while on the milking stand and it was a kicking mess again. I get the feeling she'll deliver again and simply walk away and pretend nothing happened. Is there anything I can do to try and change things this time around? She's due in two weeks.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Doe's, don't like their udders touched before they kid.
They think you are going to take milk out of what is meant for her newborns. I find that a lot prior to kidding with just feeling their udders.
I hope you are not trying to milk her before she kids?
Unless you think she has an issue?

After the Doe kids, they are sore, it hurts, so I milk out enough to make them comfortable and be sure the milk(colostrum) is OK. Then I will try the kids on her.
She is calmer and will allow me to help.

If though, a new goat mama, is confused, fights, I will tie her up and one back leg so she doesn't kick me or the kids off. It helps for those cases.

Talk to her in a calm voice, comfort her.
If you are feeling irritated, she may feel that from you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doe's, don't like their udders touched before they kid.
They think you are going to take milk out of what is meant for her newborns. I find that a lot prior to kidding with just feeling their udders.
I hope you are not trying to milk her before she kids?
Unless you think she has an issue?

After the Doe kids, they are sore, it hurts, so I milk out enough to make them comfortable and be sure the milk(colostrum) is OK. Then I will try the kids on her.
She is calmer and will allow me to help.

If though, a new goat mama, is confused, fights, I will tie her up and one back leg so she doesn't kick me or the kids off. It helps for those cases.

Talk to her in a calm voice, comfort her.
If you are feeling irritated, she may feel that from you.
No not trying to milk, just hoping she can continue eating with me softly touching either the back or the front of the udder which is what I kid would do. I usually do it to all of them to see how tight it is. Hers is still pretty soft. I tried tying her leg last year. She then tried kicking me with her other. At some point shed just sit all the way down. She's been fiesty ever since she was born. She would heat butt the back of my leg at 3 days old. shes the one chewing on my hair and zippers and jumping on me when she thinks I'm holding something away from her.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
They are great to love on, but her size is dangerous to you. Will a water bottle or water pistol put her in a less dominant frame of mind?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Yes, that is what mimzidoat means. ;)
Dwarf Dad.

Another, slightly quicker, method is to grab her beard. It will then function like a lead, she will not be so strong in that position. If the "sin" is big, do place a wet human kiss on her "holy" nose! That will very often make her think once more before trying to butt again.

In really bad cases, of course there is a freezer. If nothing seems to help. You certainly do not want her offspring to have that same behaviour!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Yes @mimzidoat squirt her! I have been having issues with my little terrors running over me at gates. I am going to charge my two water fire extinguishers with water and air them up. If I put them at the gates that they usually "stampede", lol, I might be able to stop that behavior.

·
8,161 Posts
Sometimes, when they are in labor, if you put some "goo" on your (gloved) hand and let her lick it off, she may calm down and start licking you. Then transfer that to the kid when it is born.

If none of that works, you may have a bottle kid on your hands! Does she ever let you milk her after she kids? If she is such a problem, maybe consider selling her (with full disclosure ;)) and get a nicer doe.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont have the time for bottle babies right. I really wanted to keep her. Not only is she an easy keeper, but shes the only daughter I've ever gotten from her 10 yr old mother, the best doe ever. I'm hoping she follows through this year. If not, I cant keep her around much longer if all I get are bottle babies from her.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sometimes, when they are in labor, if you put some "goo" on your (gloved) hand and let her lick it off, she may calm down and start licking you. Then transfer that to the kid when it is born.

If none of that works, you may have a bottle kid on your hands! Does she ever let you milk her after she kids? If she is such a problem, maybe consider selling her (with full disclosure ;)) and get a nicer doe.
She has but definitely not willingly. 9 times out of ten I have to tie her legs down to the stand pretty much.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Sounds to me as if she simply does not like you. I once had one, and she calmed down with age, but before that ... Ohhh, don't remind me! :p (She, too, was the only daughter of a beloved old goat.)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well so much for two weeks left. She delivered about 5 hours ago. The last of the placenta came out after I arrived and kids were dry, so I'm thinking it had only been at most an hour . Yes it was twins for the first time. Two does. Only thing one was dead and the other laying on its side. It did look like she cleaned them up and was licking them and calling them. The doe is tiny and weak. Wasn't able to stand all afternoon. For the first time, mama let me milk her willingly. Kid drank 3-4oz within the hour after I arrived and I gave her another 4 a couple of hours ago. Should I bring her inside? Mama is laying by her and nuzzling her. It will be around 50F tonight. Any suggestions on what to do with the doeling?

·
I'm watching you
22,263 Posts
Give 1/4 cc cod liver oil and 1/2 cc b complex orally.
Watch her temp close, weak kids often can't regulate their temperature.
If she can't stand you might need to bring her in 50 isn't that cold but she will need colostrum sipping about every 2 to 3 hours

·
I'm watching you
22,263 Posts
Sorry, you replied while I was editing.
Normal temp is 101.5 to 103. Since you will have to monitor colostrum sips through the night, you'll be able to monitor how well she's coping.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts