My alpine doe kidded

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by sarahsboergoats, Jul 9, 2009.

1. sarahsboergoats

sarahsboergoats New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Illinois
    Miss Mamie finally kidded! :stars: And on my birthday too! She had a buck and a doe. I named the doe Sarafina, but I'm not sure what to name the buck. They have like 25% Boer in them, so that's why the buck has airplane ears. Do you guys have any good name suggestions for the buck?
    [​IMG]
    The 2 kids
    [​IMG]
    Miss Mamie
    [​IMG]
    The buck
    [​IMG]
    The doe
    -Sarah

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats .......they are really cute...... :love: :greengrin: :leap:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I think the doe is just adorable!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    terrible with names -- but congrats on the new cuties - what a wonderful birthday present

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awww, adorable babies! And what a way to celebrate your B'day!

Mama looks like she has a very impressive udder!

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    They are both really cute... will their color turn into the darker color of their dam as they get older? (I ask because I had an Alpine doeling born the same color as yours and her momma is the same darker color as yours.)

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They are so dang cute!!! Congrats! :leap:

8. sarahsboergoats

Jan 14, 2009
    Illinois
    The guy I bought her from(this Spring) said that she gives a gallon a day. Is that even possible? She does have a lot of milk, but I don't know if she gives that much.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah a gallon a day is possible, I had a doe who gave that much

10. sarahsboergoats

Jan 14, 2009
    Illinois
    I'm not sure, this is my first year of Alpines.

11. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    A gallon a day is average for Alpines - Janine as a yearling was milking a gallon a day and with later freshenings was milking well over that. On average my standard does give a gallon and a half a day (yes that does mean I am drowning in milk when I have too many does in milk lols)

Love both kids - the doeling looks all Alpine - I would have never guessed she was 25% boer. I think the buckling is also cute and pretty - I like airplane ears (one of my first goats was an Alpine/Nubian cross and I love her airplane ears - the Alpine Nubian cross is one of my favorite crosses).

Looks like the doeling has a huge blanket of whit - hard to tell but she should be a cou clair, two tone chamoisee - but because she has those lovely black legs I think she is a form of cou clair with white (alot of white lols) - she is going to be very pretty - so is her brother! What are you going to do with him? If you wether him he could make a pretty harness goat!

She looks like she had a nice udder from the picture.

I am not good at helping others with names - do you have a theme? For me that will make it easier. Sometimes though a name will just pop into my head and I like it and they get stuck with it lols.

Current names that are popping into my head are:
    Zane (Zane Grey)
    Maverick
    Apollo
    Bogart
    Quincy
    Maybe that will give someone else some ideas for names lols

Deidre :horse:

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulations Sarah. They are adorable. What a gift from god.

13. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
  14. sarahsboergoats

Jan 14, 2009
    Illinois
    I'll probably just wether him and sell him for meat. It would be neat to make him a harness goat, but I think I'll just do that with Sarafina. That way she has a use other than just being a harness goat. Good suggestion, though. :)
    Oh, I was wondering...At what age do you disbudd your kids. I wanted to have Sarafina disbudded since she'll be a milking doe. And how much does it usually cost to have it done?
    -Sarah

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    between 3 days and 2 weeks - depends on the horn growth. IF you can find a dairy breeder near you they can do it for you real cheep. I usualy charge 8.00