My babies are growing sooo fast

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by RPC, Mar 11, 2010.

1. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Well today I got off work early and decided while it was still light out I would weigh the babies and see how tall they were at the withers. Now these are goats for our 4-H fair at the end of July. I was told that between 60-80lbs is prime weight. I think I may end up with heavy weights. Little Joy who was a month old yesturday is 20lbs and 17" tall. Joey and tank will be 2 months on the 13th, Joey is 32lbs and 20" tall and Tank is 40lbs and 19" tall. Just to see how tall my moms were I measured them also. Faith (Joys mom) is 27" tall and Ruby (tank and Joeys mom) is 28" tall. Does 27" and 28" tall sound like a normal sized boer doe? Does it sound like the babies are growing fast or are they growing normal? Just wondered if I should breed for later babies next year?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    wow you are going to have some really nice babies at fair. It is amazing how they will slow down after they are off mom.

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Are they boars? Are you allowed to show meat goats in 4-H? Our group is all dairy.

4. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Ok so they do slow down alot? Thats kind of a good thing I was getting worried 40lbs in 2 months and I have 4 months to go they would be like 160lbs if they continued to grow that well. Yes we have both meat and dairy classes and I got them to have market does this year also. That way kids can sell their does also.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    They will slow down a little bit but you don't want them to too much they should be fine at the fair! We show both here too...