The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old dwarf baby goat he was sick when we got him at 8 weeks old, our vet said first it was ring worm, but we dont see any rings or spots on him:confused: the other thing is he is aways alone none of our other 5 goats except him (we even have a baby goat his age but he is part of our herd)... even when it rains they push him away, we do have another shelter he goes to.. I dont know maybe stress?? maybe getting another goat his age? Please help we dont want to loss this lil guy:(

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
A buddy is always a great idea...some loose hair after illness, lack of mineral...vitamine...mites, lice ......

I would first take his temp..check the bald areas closely for scabby crust to indicate mites...if the skin is very soft with no crusty stuff, no irritation or redness...then it can be the stress, or him needing more mineral/vitamines..

I had two kids do this, one after illness the other had no cause...both times the hair grew back soft and beatiful...

If you dont already have loose minerals free choice, I would begin doing that now..

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
Sweetlix Meatmaker 16:8, Manna Pro Goat Mineral, Cargill Right Now Onyx Cattle Mineral are just 3 types that are good for goats.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Copper deficiency comes to mind first. If you don't want to bolus him, I would get 10lbs of horse guard for him. The minerals are very high quality and will bring him up sooner along with the loose minerals.
Info on Horse Guard http://www.horseguard.com/shop/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=Horse+Guard
Info on copper deficiency http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html
ok so how much of this would i feed a 20 lbs goat? he does get grain and hay but he is in with 4 adults so maybe he isnt getting enough ????

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
if he's eating in open bins with adults that don't like him, chances are he's not getting to eat much. Is there any way you can separate him at meal times? Let him eat by himself for a while to make sure he's getting enough? And put a little mineral in with his food ration to make sure he's getting that too.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
The Horse Guard contains very good mineral Chelates, Amy. It will make up for a lot of lack while he's learning to be part of the group.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts