My Baby is Turning Blue

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by Di, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, she was the blackest black, but now she's turning blue!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:love: Can you believe she's growing her cashmere and it's not even August yet!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Di, I have two that look like her, and yes they should start growing their cashmere. It grows from June 21 until Jan 21st. My two girls that look like her are loosing their baby cashmere and are getting their big girl Cashmere. I have one adult doe that has a ton of it already. When she gets it this early that normally tells me we are in for a COLD winter.

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I read somewhere that they start growing on the longest day of the year, stop on the shortest day of the year...so that's about right on with your dates. I noticed both bucks are growing theirs too. It's sometimes less noticeable on the lighter colors...but all the does are getting "fuzzy looking". Luckily it's not too hot here yet. I'm going to feel sorry for them in August!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yes it is Summer Solutes to Winter Solutes.
    I have my doe that has won Grand Champion at out State Fair for the last 4 years, she has a LOT of beautiful fiber on her now. It is very hot here also. During our county fair I have to have fans that blow on them because it is so darn hot. :(
    Yes it does seem like the dark goats always get their fiber first. I only have a few white ones and they are getting a little but not a whole lot.