My baby Thomas is limping!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sara, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    Yesterday when I was playing with the goats I noticed Thomas, my 1 year old wether, was favoring his right fore hoof. Today he was really limping, but he would still run like it wouldn't hurt him!

What's wrong? I checked his hoof and there is nothing in there. He has no obvious physical signs of injury. He's my baby and I'm worried for him.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if there are no obvious signs of hoof issues then I would assume he landed funny on it.

You can try giving him some glucose just in case it is joint pain.

3. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    Okiedoke, I thought I might do that. Just dip it in some peanut butter or something yummy and he'll gulp it down.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Have no idea what the weather is like where you are but, if there is snow or ice on the ground then his feet might be cold. My guys were holding there's up every once and a while the other day cause of the snow. Once I got them in the stall they were fine.

If you have no ice there then he might have been jumping around and landed on it wrong like StaceyRoop said.

5. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    We have snow and ice but he's doing it even when he's in his pasture with all grass. :shrug:

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    First I'd check the bottom of his foot, including between his toes, which it sounds like you did, then I would feel up the leg to see if there was any heat anywhere, if not then I would flex each joint to see if he flinches. Then I would squeeze the tendons in the leg to see if he flinches at that. If all that is OK, I see whether he puts weight on the heel and toe of that leg or stands with it out in front or behind. If all looks OK, I see whether he limps when he walks when he puts weight on the leg or when he gets weight off the legs and brings it forward.
    As you can see, I have done the lame horse routine for many years. Usually those things will tell where the problem is. If I can't find anything and it isn't REALLY lame, I let him rest over night and see what her was like in the morning.

7. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    He walks semi-normally, meaning he walks with his foot normally, but does the head bobbing thing when he puts weight on his leg.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Horses (and hopefully goats too) nod onto their good leg. That means their head goes down as they land the good leg.

9. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    Oh. Hmmmm. Could both legs be bad or am I confused?

10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Probably not- maybe just the other leg? Although I did have one horse who I bragged about having at least one good leg most of the time.

11. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    I know for sure it's his right leg, he's really favoring it. I might've gotten confused about the head bobbing part.

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Well- thank goodness these things usually take care of themselves.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    How is he today?