My Barn Flooded.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by fcnubian, Feb 10, 2008.

1. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    At the beginning of the week we had a lot of rain on top of melting snow. My barn flooded. My two horses were in water. I went in the Nubian barn. Open the door and went to walk in and all I saw was water, everywhere. I thought OMG!!! Walked through the barn. Precious was standing in water with her baby in the hay feeder. Frostie and her baby were dry. Carmello was to. Nica’s stall was half wet. Delilah and Hannah were standing in water, so was Georgia. This is at about 10PM, so dark outside, thank goodness for lights. It was pouring outside, windy to. All of my outdoor pens are muddy. So I wasn’t going to be able to move the goats right then so I did some rearranging with the kidding area. Put some of those wood pallets down with OSB board on top of it for the two Nubians. I had a 4x4 wood pallet with very small slits in it so Georgia got that one. I made those work for the rest of the night. Spent the next day trying to figure out what to do. Finally decided to move the three Nubians to the hay barn. They have a pen in there, makes it easier to feed them! LOL.

Here are the pictures. My dog is in some of them. Her name is Muffy. I made her go with me while I was outside. I was out there by myself, in the dark…kinda creepy.

This is the isle between the kidding stalls. At the time of these pics it had quit raining and the water was starting to go down.

This is near the entrance.

This is standing at the door looking in towards the kidding room.

This is Georgia, standing on her pallet.

This is Delilah, standing on her pallet. Hannah isn’t in these pics because my camera batteries died in the middle of taking pictures.

The day after the flooding I got the new pens set up in the hay barn and those girls went in there ate for like 10minutes and then realized they could lay down and not get all wet. They all three were sound asleep for a while. Poor girls didn’t get hardly any sleep during the flooding.
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OMG Amy I wish I could help you out somehow. I remember about three years ago we had 6 inches of standing water in one area of the barn.
    wish I lived closer to you, I would come help you out. :grouphug:
    OK, If you are having all this moisture, look on the bright side. Think how great your pastures will be and how hopefully cheaper the hay will be this fall. :roll:

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oh man do I know how you feel. My old barn used to flood bad so when we decided to build a big barn we had the ground built up and then also had to dig a trench around part of it so the water would run away from the barn. Our new lad we have just bought I have been watching the place that I want to put my barn and all seems well now and it doenst flood at all.

Good job making the girl comfy during this wet time.
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Wow! I'm glad you were able to get your girls dry.

Our new barn sits up on a foot of cement so we don't have any trouble with flooding, but in our old barn it used to flood so bad I felt so sorry for the girls.
  5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    wow...that looks a lot like my barn after a good rain!!! I feel for you and your animals
  6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    What a good job of coping in the night alone- spooky I know. We have mountain lions here and I used to feel they were watching me when I went out at night! Of course I couldn't take my dog with me as I worried about her getting eaten.
    Snow melt and rain together do seem to be the cause of a lot of flooding. I think your idea of pallets in the stall is a great.
    Now mother nature just has to get it right- melt the snow then start the rain.
  7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    oh boy! It is bad enough having to deal with that but late at night? Goodness. Glad everyone is safe and dry.
  8. cornishwlr

cornishwlr New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Glad you had the hay barn that was dry so you could move them the next day.
  9. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I am not looking forward to stripping out the whole barn. Lol. :sigh:
  10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh man I just read this post. Don't blame you for not wanting to get out there. Do you have a wet vac?
    I do admire your ingenuity with the pallets!
    Yrs ago it flooded, the house had a high front porch and mama & babies were in knee high water in the barn.
    Brought mama out but she ran back to her I brought babies out and went back to get her. She knew everything was OK when she saw her babies on the porch.
  11. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Yes but that wont help now. Everything is dried up for the most part, no standing water. I just have to strip out all the bedding that is in there, since it's cold out I wont have to worry about mold, I just left it go in the nubian area, they aren't in those pens at the moment so I'll do them when it warms up some. lol. :greengrin:

My 3 nubians didn't want to leave the barn, they had to walk through mud. Lol. They weren't happy at all.