My big boys

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Nov 22, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Took a few reasonable photos of my two mature Angora bucks, well not completely mature but they are 2 yrs old.

Traveller - he is what you would call a 'fleece' buck - his body leaves a lot to be desired but his fleece characteristics are outstanding. He is still producing 'kid' fleece on his fourth shearing, he is really really even throughout and doesnt get stronger in the neck or breech. He is kemp free and super stylish. I used him over most of my does this year as they are mainly 'body' does and I wanted to improve the fleeces. Their fleeces are good but I wanted a bit more style and I also have some strong necks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heath - he is more of a 'body' buck - he is pretty well put together conformation wise, as well as being a very BIG boy. His fleece is not bad - fairly even although he does get a bit strong in the neck and super stylish, but it is just a little stronger than I am after. He only produced kid mohair for the first two shearings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love that third photo ... the look on his face :) I have two does joined to him for Jan, so will be interesting to see ... they will be his first kids.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Wow, handsome guys!!

3. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I agree! Very handsome boys you have there! :thumbup:

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    They are gourgeous!!

I have to ask, my bucks get pretty....erm......sticky...........from peeing on themselves all the time when they are in rut. do your angora bucks get pretty bad then too? Can you use the fleece off a buck?

Sorry had to ask :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    they are really handsome... :) ....and have real nice looking fleece.... :)

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Traveller isnt a very bucky sort of buck, not much peeing or wooping, I was a little worried when I first used him but he got them all in kid first try.

Heath is the opposite, very smelly and sticky and pees all year round and carries on like a pork chop. Particularly when he has been in a proper rut, his fleece just needs more skirting than others, to remove the stains. I do warn my customers about the buck fleeces, because they tend to carry the buck smell.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow that would be alot of work keeping the fleece clean....I sympathize with ya... :(
    But they are nice looking guys...... :)