The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is seven and a half months and we are planning to breed her this year. We are going to try and milk her. Has anyone had experience with milking 1/2 Boers? june 6, 2013 2013-06-01 029.JPG 1

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Potentially may not milk as long but honestly unless you know her milking background, it is a wait and see.

·
14,615 Posts
I have two Boer/Nubians. They produced almost 9 months. Not huge amounts; maybe half a gallon a day each at peak.
Nice looking girl there!

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I milked a Boer/Nubian for a while. She produced about 1 gallon a day of very nice milk, for about 6 months before drying off.
I could be wrong but, I'm just not seeing that much Boer in that doeling. Even my 1/4 Boer crosses had longer ears.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Lol, I have a alpine/boer cross doeling right now and her ears were floppy at birth, but they are now airplane ears :p

No idea on how they milk, and it will vary a lot depending on how each doe in her pedigree milks. I've seen alpines who have peaked at about a pint a day, I've seen boers that peaked at close to a gallon and a half a day. So really she could be anywhere in between. I will now next year on how mine milks, lol. Her mom produces a gallon a day and her dad is out of a heavy milking boer, so we shall see :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have a boer alpine cross and i wouldn't trade her for anything. On her first freshening I only got about a half gallon a day out of her but the milk was AMAZING. Second freshening I got over 3/4 a gallon a day of rich creamy SWEET delicious milk for 10 months and then I dried her up to breed her (she didn't end up getting bred that year because my bucks were both extremely young and not yet up to the task). I should have kids out of her in late february this upcoming year because I have confirmed breedings last week and I am GIDDY with delight.

It really depends on the genetics in your girl, but I personally love mine. I paid $50 for her, and wouldn't sell her now for anything.

I had two Boer/Oberhasli does (reg. 50% boers) who had milk almost as good, milked a little less, but I adored them as well, they just hated being milk does so i sold them to a Boer breeder. I plan to breed my nice Nubians to Boers at some point in hopes of some good milk/meat cross doelings to retain. I breed these does to a pure or mostly meat bred buck in order to get babies with plenty of meat for the freezer, best of both worlds for me.

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks every one. Her dam Sweet Flowers Poppy who is 6 this year, reached her peak at 7-8 quarts a day. I have high hopes for my little Spruce.

·
1,524 Posts
When I had a mixed herd of Boers and Dairy, I milked all my does, Boers, mixed and full dairy. I expected all to make a decent amount of milk or they went away. My cross does did great milking. They went the entire 10 month lactation. Some gave me 8 pounds a day, some more, some a bit less. If they gave less than 6 pounds a day average, they went bye-bye. The full Boers were allowed to give 5 on average, which they did and they did go a full 10 months also. I also did not allow any does, full, cross or otherwise, to have more than 2 clean teats.

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is helpful lottsagoats,
Here are some more pictures. I love the coloring on this girl.
goats 018.jpg

goats 022.jpg

goats 026.jpg

Attachments

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will let you know how she does. We plan to breed her in November or December.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts