My boys are ultra itchy

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Kimmie163, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Kimmie163

Kimmie163 New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi,
    I hope someone can help me with this issue of mites on my goats. I have 2 whithered Boar goats about 6 years old I think. Anyway, they are itchy, rubbing on everything and I can see where they use horns or mouth to itch. This started months ago, thought I'd gotten rid of them, but they are more miserable than before I think. Yes they are ”pets” hubby calls them livestock, they are the only ”livestock” we own and they have names, Herbie and Trouble! Oh anyway I used Diatomaceous of earth food grade I cleaned their pen, new bedding sprinkled DE on it, and on them best I could, and for good measure added to their food. Well, I did that for 10 days, I brushed it into their coat, thought I'd done it. Well I've noticed the itching getting bad again, is there something that will act faster, I hate to see them like this. These guys are like therapy for me, I HAVE to take care if them, my kids are gone, my hubby ”could” take care of himself, I have a terminal illness, so I need a reason to HAVE to care for them.
    Sorry this is so long, hope someone can help thanks

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    I tried using the DE, but that didn't really stop the nibbles. I still use it in the chicken coop, hay shed, and barn - but I also use the premetherin powder, too.

I then went to the UltraBoss, but it doesn't kill both lice and mites and it's oil based versus alcohol (which takes longer to dry and I don't like for colder weather). The group here told me about Durvet Ivermectin pour-on and is alcohol based. The girls act like I'm killing them, but it goes on easy and dries fast - and it kills the bugs! I bought the first bottle on Amazon, but I looked the other week and it seems prices went up, but local TSC showed they had some in stock, so I'll get it from there.

3. Kimmie163

Kimmie163 New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks so very much, I will give it a try and pray that does it. I appreciate your help, God Bless and have a great day!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Ultraboss won't treat mites and hardly treats lice.

Do they have any scabby areas or crustiness?

Any flaky skin?

Any fishtails, balding around the eyes, thinning hair?

Run through their coats with a flashlight to check for bugs (lice).

Kimmie163 likes this.
  5. Kimmie163

Kimmie163 New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Flakes like dandruff, and in the lower part of the back it looks a but crusty. But I thought that was due to the Diatomaceou, maybe build up....
    I have used a flashlight to see what's there, looks like maybe tiny light colored critters mixed in with dandruff looking material.
    No balding around the eyes, one of my boys hair has always been thicker and it seems to be breaking like ultra dry...

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Would you mind posting photos?

I’m sensing mineral deficiencies and/or mites are the issue.

Kimmie163 likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ivomec pour on, the blue liquid works well for mites and lice. 1 cc per 20 lbs along the topline.

DE never seems to work, but makes them itch more, because it is so drying.

So sorry about the terminal illness. :(

8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Python dust works well on the bedding area. And the blue pour on is great! Good luck to your boys. I'm sorry for your situation. Sending prayers!(pray)

Kimmie163 and MadHouse like this.
  9. Kimmie163

Kimmie163 New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I will try to get photos when I put them in later, need to wait for the hubby to get home, so I can use his phone. I only have a heavy iPad..lol and alone might be difficult

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  10. Kimmie163

Kimmie163 New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks so much for your help And I look at the good side of my diagnosis and the meds that are keeping it at bay. I have what was once a rare disease, even in a list of that name. And if never heard of it when I was finally diagnosed, so happy to know so we could fix it....but when I said so let's fix this. My doc said well don't think you understand it's terminal, no cure. However he said they are making great strides in medications to keep it from progressing. Well that was in 2010, 3 med changes 2 months in the ICU and ya all aren't gettin rid of me so soon I told my family ☀️
    Anyway my Pulmonary Hypertension is really the best-managed illness I have, autoimmune diseases suck!
    So there you have it, my boys love me I love them, the need me, I need them...dont get me wrong my family is great, but they have lives. And my hubby, well he works 8 - 10 hours at his regular M - F job, we live on a ranch that he is the manager of, which is short for ( when the owners are at there home in Oregon he is the everything guy). We've been here 27 years, raised our kids here and so much more....
    Sorry if I went on to much, just I am a lot better off than so many others, don't want ya allot think I was wanting sympathy, for me it's just how it is

11. Kimmie163

Kimmie163 New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Thank you for your help, and thank you for the prayers I will take them and do the same for you! God, my faith, family, friends, and my boys have all played a part in my still being here! Good days, bad days I still give thanks

12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I like the blue ivermectin pour on, I would use that - but want to confirm minerals aren't an issue.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem, glad to help.

Sending prayers your way.
    Bless you, being a fighter is key, you can fight and beat this, never give up. (console)