My Breeding Experiments and Their Results - YEAR THREE

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by ShireRidgeFarm, May 21, 2018.

1. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    I'm now into my third year of conducting my experiments, and I thought I would again share my results.

See the results of the first year here: https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/my-breeding-experiements-and-their-results.187266/#post-1988936
    See the results of the second year here: https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads...d-their-results-year-two.192536/#post-2054209

Here's the results for this year:
    Breeding Experiments 2018.PNG

Experiment One: Feed Flushing

There was really no doubt in my mind that this would be successful again this year, and I was not disappointed. My doe Daisy set the farm record by having five healthy kids, who are all doing great. Most everyone else had three kids, aside from Rose who has always been a petite doe and then my two first fresheners Bell and Jade.

Experiment Two: Apple Cider Vinegar to Promote Doelings
    Well, my ratio of boys to girls is 12 to 10 - just about 1:1. If my first year had not had twice as many girls I may have given up on this experiment earlier, but we've all got to hope, right? My past three years' ratio of bucklings to doelings evens out to 1:1 as well, so I'm pretty sure at this point that this idea does not affect anything.

Has anyone else been trying either (or both) of these experiments - what has been your results? Are there any other experiments you think I should try next?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is neat that you are keeping records. In both alpacas and goats, I ended up with about 50/50 looking back over the years. I did nothing to try for more females.

ShireRidgeFarm likes this.

3. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    I've heard that the female sperm swim slower but stronger than male sperm. The egg is not released until a few hours after standing heat is over, and therefore if the doe was bred early on in her heat, the male sperm will be there and already be dead before the egg is released and the slower, but stronger female sperm arrive to fertilize the eggs - therefore more doelings!

Maybe we can both test that theory this year, and I may do the flushing method as well. We've had 11 bucklings and 7 doelings total born on our farm since getting into goats, and the doeling year, 2016, which produced 2 bucks/6 does (4 sets of twins), I didn't have them on any type of mineral, supplement, or grain (they still looked great, somehow). Whereas this year, they DID have minerals (although only one kind that, at the time of conception, they didn't really eat, LOL - I changed it soon afterwards though), were on grain/hay/pasture and we ended up with 9 bucklings and 1 doeling - ALL single births expect one. But, we think it may have something to do with iodine deficiency, so we recently bought a cobalt block to help with that.
    I, like almost everyone, am REALLY hoping for doelings next year!

4. Davon

Davon Active Member

Sep 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    I have never seen good information on why the female sperm would be slower or how it was proved. As far as I know the xy or xx chromosome is the only real difference between male and female sperm cells.

5. Einhorn

Einhorn Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I have seen humans population studies about the pH of the mothers womb being conducive to one or the other. But some of it seems like a total crapshoot.

It's the buck's chemistry supposed to have an effect at all? Why is it always on the ladies?

For what is worth we do nothing and have equal numbers at this time.

ShireRidgeFarm and Goat_Scout like this.
  6. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    The timing of the heat would be neat to try.

In the past, my boys were also getting apple cider vinegar in their water, although that really fell to the wayside this year.