My buck broke off his scur! **update**

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jay13, Apr 25, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    My buck broke his scur off while investigating the changes that we were making to his pen. He is bleeding but other than that it doesn't seem to bother him except when I try to get a hold of him to put wound powder on it to stop the bleeding. What should I do? Will it stop on its own? The whole scur just popped off, you can still see the horn cone thing on his head, it doesn't seem to be dammaged except of course for the bleeding.

TIA

2. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Re: My buck broke off his scur!

That happened to one of my girls the other day. She was fine. Hers didn't really bleed that much, so I wasn't worried, but if he is bleeding a lot I think it would be worth it to put some blood stop powder on it if you can get him to stand still.

I suspect he'll be fine tomorrow ;)

3. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio

If it's not bleeding too bad, then it should be just fine. I had a LaMancha buck that broke a huge scur off, but it was like pulsing bleeding everywhere so we heated up disbudding iron and hit the top of it, applied blood stop and it was fine...hopefully you don't have to do that though!!

4. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

Thank you all so much for your help. Not to sound crass but, after paying good money for a buck it would be sad to see him go over a broken scur before he even got to breed once! I had also called the emergency number for the local vet and he said to put a stretched out piece of cotton ball on it to help the clotting and while its still bright red, it has stopped bleeding now! :D :D :D We had tried to put wound powder on it but wound up with it everywhere and a VERY unhappy buck. He is normally very (read: too) friendly guy. Tonight he was completely avoiding me, except to get his nightly ration of grain of course.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Our buck pulled his scur out when he got it stuck in the fence. The first time I saw him he was a bloody mess as it was dripping down his head. I didn't even notice it until I saw the blood on my hand. I was setting out feed at the time. He came tearing across the pen to get it. It didn't appear to faze him at all. He just wanted the feed.

6. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Re: My buck broke off his scur! ***update***

I think I may have gotten some of the wound dust in his eye. I went out to check on him (he hates me right now, won't let me near him) and his eye looks swollen on that side, almost shut. He is just moping in his house. Any suggestions?

7. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Treats to win him backas a friend and maybe putting him up in a stanchion and flushing the eye with water- then treats again!

8. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I don't know if I can even get him near the stanchion again. Maybe I'll just sit outside his house with a hand full of raisins and see if that helps. Poor guy, looks like the cure was worse than the disease for him :(

9. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I know it looks gross, but don't worry about scurs popping off, it happens all the time, especially with the bucks. They butt each other and rub their heads on EVERYTHING so the scurs get pulled off all the time. Really it is just the outer 'shell' part that comes off, leaving a nub behind. It looks yucky, but does not seem to hurt them at all...in fact, with mine I pull them off on purpose if I am planning to take them to a show. I just pop them off and hit the nub with a shot of blue kote about a week before the show.

Now, if it was an unusual circumstance and one started spewing blood everywhere, I would probably hit it with the disbudding iron just to be safe, but none of mine have ever bled enough for me to do that.

Also, this would be different than if an actual horn broke off, leaving a hole that opens into their sinus cavity...that's a whole different mess, from what I hear, and would be more serious.

10. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Good to know Cyanne, thanks. Trust me I was pretty freaked out there for a while! He forgave me after a few days and a hand full of raisins...lol